Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Rocketman

EW:

Bane is ready to ditch his mask for rose-colored glasses.

Tom Hardy has signed on to play Elton John in Rocket Pictures’ biopic Rocketman, which will be released in the U.S. by Focus Features.

Rocketman will tell John’s legendary story, from his childhood to his unbelievable rise to fame. John is set to re-record a number of his biggest hits to match the emotional moments in the film, which will be directed by Michael Gracey, the man behind the upcoming film The Greatest Showman on Earth starring Hugh Jackman.

With an original screenplay written by Academy Award nominee Lee Hall (War Horse), Rocketman is scheduled to start shooting in fall 2014.

And here I was hoping this title was going to be a big-budget re-imagining of "Rocketman: King of the Rocket Men," the old Republic serial...

I mentioned on Facebook the other day that the makers of Rocketman must be looking at Bohemian Rhapsody's enormous success (over $800 million worldwide! multiple Oscar nominations including Best Actor -- which it could very easily win -- and Best Picture!) and feeling both envious and optimistic about what that film's success could mean for their own film's prospects: Apparently there's an audience out there for 1970s-set British pop-star biopics with LGBT content!

Then a friend of mine pointed out that Rocketman is also directed by Dexter Fletcher, the guy who finished directing Bohemian Rhapsody after Bryan Singer ankled the project. So, whoa.

I liked this substantially more than Bohemian Rhapsody, although it gets bogged down by some of the same narrative cliches, just not nearly as severely. I thought the incorporation of songs as a jukebox musical worked quite well and mostly made up for those flaws.

My full review: https://catholiccinephile.wordpress.com/2019/06/08/rocketman/

Very good review.  One minor correction:  it's "Alcoholics Anonymous"; and I don't think it's necessarily an AA meeting he's attending, but a generic recovery group. 

I always appreciate your takes on musical films, given your passion and knowledge around this genre.  I felt much the same way about the film, including its relative merits next to Bohemian Rhapsody.  As someone whose adolescence coincided with the birth of MTV, I loved how the final song, though a obvious choice, was presented.

Thanks, Andrew, and thanks for the catch. I changed it to "recovery group," since it's definitely not clear what type of group therapy it is.