Vote: the 2014 A&F Top 25 Theme

TylerMcCabe

Vote: the 2014 A&F Top 25 Theme  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a little surprised at the topic that's coming out ahead so far. If it ends up being chosen (which I still don't think likely), I have no idea what kind of list would emerge, but the process of creating it would certainly be fascinating.

I'm also a little surprised, although I though it stood the second best chance of being chosen behind the theme that's currently in second place.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

I'm a little surprised at the topic that's coming out ahead so far. If it ends up being chosen (which I still don't think likely), I have no idea what kind of list would emerge, but the process of creating it would certainly be fascinating.

I'm also a little surprised, although I though it stood the second best chance of being chosen behind the theme that's currently in second place.

I don't know, I thought one of the ones that currently has zero votes was more likely.

A) I think a comedies list would bring A&F and Image more attention than a memory list.

B) Comedy doesn't get enough respect.

C) Maybe I'm just drawn to levity these days and a "memory" list feels like film studies homework.

D) Raising Arizona

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I really don't have much of a preference between the two themes tied for first right now.  That said, I voted for "memory" because I was slightly more intrigued to argue for the inclusion of Vertigo, Casablanca, Memento, and In the City of Sylvia than for the inclusion of Life of Brian, Hannah and Her Sisters, Alice, and The Hudsucker Proxy.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

A tie at the moment.  As a Green I believe we should have a preferential instant runoff style of voting.

I support this proposal. Multiple rounds of voting for everything!

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

I really don't have much of a preference between the two themes tied for first right now. That said, I voted for "memory" because I was slightly more intrigued to argue for the inclusion of Vertigo, Casablanca, Memento, and In the City of Sylvia than for the inclusion of Life of Brian, Hannah and Her Sisters, Alice, and The Hudsucker Proxy.

Yes, for me, it's all about the films in question. I like some comedies that can be called "spiritually significant," but the comedies I *really* love don't fit that tag.

On the other hand, many of my favorite films are fixated on memory.

A) I think a comedies list would bring A&F and Image more attention than a memory list.

cool.png Comedy doesn't get enough respect.

C) Maybe I'm just drawn to levity these days and a "memory" list feels like film studies homework.

D) Raising Arizona

Raising Arizona is indeed, a good point.

I really don't have much of a preference between the two themes tied for first right now.  That said, I voted for "memory" because I was slightly more intrigued to argue for the inclusion of Vertigo, Casablanca, Memento, and In the City of Sylvia than for the inclusion of Life of Brian, Hannah and Her Sisters, Alice, and The Hudsucker Proxy.

Don't forget Jeffrey's point D above.

My thought was that those who want to do memory are more likely to vote right away, and comedies will pull ahead later (there's a whole week of voting, after all). We'll see, though.

Edited by Rushmore

My thought was that those who want to do memory are more likely to vote right away, and comedies will pull ahead later (there's a whole week of voting, after all). We'll see, though.

That was my thought too, but 32 members have voted, and looking over past years, that's usually about how many people vote in the theme poll.

I really don't have much of a preference between the two themes tied for first right now. That said, I voted for "memory" because I was slightly more intrigued to argue for the inclusion of Vertigo, Casablanca, Memento, and In the City of Sylvia than for the inclusion of Life of Brian, Hannah and Her Sisters, Alice, and The Hudsucker Proxy.

Don't forget Jeffrey's point D above.

I've been trying not to mention this, but now I feel forced into it.  I appreciate how much you and Jeffrey love Raising Arizona, but.......the number of times I laughed while watching it could be counted on one hand.  I don't think it's a bad movie, but only bits and pieces of it work for me.  The bank robbery is hilarious, but continually forgetting Nathan Jr. wears itself out and is not that funny.  Nicolas Cage as a criminal adjusting to domestic life is funny at first, but also wears itself out well before the movie ends.  And the whole Leonard Smalls subplot is NOT FUNNY.  AT ALL.  (I don't dislike it as much as some of our members; Victor Morton gives it a 1 out of 10 - scroll down to July 30, 2011; I'd give it a 6, so cut me some slack)

hides.gif

As a Green I believe we should have a preferential instant runoff style of voting.

Multiple rounds of voting for everything!

We'll see. It would take a week off our film nomination process, and if we do do a second round of voting, it might be more useful to do one with the actual films rather than with the theme. In the past, we haven't needed to do a theme runoff because there has always been a very clear winner. But, if this one stays close, then we probably should do a runoff between the two.

Argh. I clicked view results. Can my null vote be restored?

I'll check with Tyler and see.

In the meantime, everyone vote first before you look at the results! Apparently this poll doesn't let you look at the results before voting without canceling your vote. We aren't trying to intentionally hide the results so you have to go in voting blind, but that seems to be the way A&F's polls work. At the moment, the two frontrunners are Memory and Divine Comedies.

VICTOR MORTON GAVE IT A 1 OUT OF 10?

I'll have to talk to Victor.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Evan C wrote:

: Victor Morton gives it a 1 out of 10 - scroll down to July 30, 2011 . . .

Whoa. And he actually *downgraded* it from his earlier rating of 2! If only Victor explained *why* he didn't like the film...

Oh wait, he did -- in a debate with Big Hollywood co-editor Christian Toto (who regards the film as his favorite of all time)!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

hides.gif

You'd better not come out from behind that couch, buddy.nep.gif

hides.gif

Is it safe now?

VICTOR MORTON GAVE IT A 1 OUT OF 10?

I'll have to talk to Victor.

Since it's become a topic of conversation, I'll throw my hat in with Evan: RAISING ARIZONA doesn't do much for me.

Do you see what happens, Rushmore? Do you see what happens when you goad someone into talking about a film he was avoiding discussing?

Seriously, though, since I was trying to goad you into some such admission, I can hardly rant and rave now that you've made it. We'll save this for the nominations thread, shall we?

Whoa. You mean you correctly suspected that my ignoring the film meant that I didn't care for it that much?  Impressive.

hides.gif

Is it safe now?

Not quite yet.

Edited by Attica

cool.png Comedy doesn't get enough respect.

D) Raising Arizona

Couldn't have said it better, but I thought this wasn't a campaigning list.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.