Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Middleburg Film Festival

I didn't know the Middleburg Film Festival was happening in Northern Virginia -- less than an hour's drive from where I live -- until some Washington film-critic colleagues started tweeting from the event!

The festival is the brainchild of Sheila Johnson, and the lineup was really quite something -- some big local premieres (like Nebraska) and more international fare such as Like Father, Like Son.

I'm wondering if this festival targets the Virginia Film Festival audience. I wouldn't mind having a comparable event closer to home (FilmFest DC is in the spring), but I love the excuse to get away to Charlottesville each November (with exceptions, such as this year).

From the linked article:

Three of the films in Middleburg’s official slate — Chile’s “Gloria,” Turkey’s “The Butterfly’s Dream” and Romania’s “Child’s Pose” — were submitted by their respective countries for Academy Award consideration in the best foreign film category. The notable Hollywood heavies in the mix — including “Nebraska,” “August: Osage County” and the Stephen Frears-directed drama “Philomena,” starring Judi Dench — already have generated varying degrees of ­Oscar-related chatter. The latter two of those films, as well as several other Middleburg entries, were backed by the Weinstein Co., the same studio responsible for the aforementioned “Lee Daniels’ The Butler,” a film that Sheila Johnson co-produced and that screened in Middleburg on Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Christian

Got an email this morning with this year's schedule, but see now that Indiewire has linked to it.

I'm looking forward to attending the Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesville the week after the Middleburg Film Festival, but the closer location of Middleburg and its appealing lineup could force me to reconsider in future years which Virginia film festival I should make time for (assuming I have to pick between the festivals and not attend both). I think the two fest lineups had a bit of overlap last year, and probably will again this year.

Edited by Christian