kenmorefield

A better film about...

Last week I was screening Last Vegas, a middling comedy about aging and male friendship, and I had that experience where, somewhat bored by the film, I thought, "You know what was a better film about [whatever the subject of the film was about]?" So instead of going home and writing a review of Last Vegas, I wrote a review of Shepard & Dark, which I thought also about male friendship but done better.

Today Ender's Game opened, and I didn't hate it, but I thought about how much I really liked Searching for Bobby Fischer, another film about a child genius in a hyper-competitive environment. 

I put a tag for such films on my blog, and started my own list on Letterbox'd, but I thought I might mention it here if people come up with one. The (unenforceable) parameters) are:

1) A (somewhat) new film...

2) that reminds you (thematically or, heck, even formally) of another film...

3) that you liked/appreciated/esteemed better than the new film.

If you have/have had that experience, feel free to share your recommendations here.

Edited by kenmorefield

Just caught the moronic Only God Forgives tonight (on a double-bill with the disappointing The Bling Ring).  As I was watching this film play out, I thought I might want to rewatch Alejandro Jodorowsky's Sante Sangre (another film with an equally perverse mother/son relationship).  Imagine my surprise when the end credits for Only God Forgives began with a dedication to Jodorowsky.

Refn is the opener in Jodorowsky's Dune, narrating a story about dinner at J's house, after which the J offers to walk him through, page by page, the production book for Dune, narrating how he would have shot it. Refn thus claims he is the only person in the world to have "seen" Jodorowsky's Dune from beginning to end.

Tyler   

(on a double-bill with the disappointing The Bling Ring). 

Since you brought it up in this thread, Spring Breakers is a better version of The Bling Ring.

That got me thinking....

Jodorowsky's Dune is a better film about Jodorowsky's Dune than is Jodorowsky's Dune

Evan C   

The Seventh Seal is a better version of The Book Thief. (a much, much, MUCH better version)

The Seventh Seal is a better version of The Book Thief. (a much, much, MUCH better version)

The Virgin Spring is a better version of Last House on the Left (either version).  (a much, much, MUCH better version)  :D

This is probably heresy in these parts, but I actually think Blackfish is a better version of Grizzly Man

Which is the better between A Hijacking and Captain Phillips?  I lean toward A Hijacking, but it's a close call.

Evan C   

The Virgin Spring is a better version of Last House on the Left (either version).  (a much, much, MUCH better version)  biggrin.png

Persona is a better version of Black Swan. (same degree of muchness implied).

And A Streetcar Named Desire is a better version of Blue Jasmine.

NBooth   

Willow is a better version of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Desolation Again

Dune (Lynch) is a better version of John Carter. And I say that as someone who really likes John Carter.

The Rocketeer  is a better version of Captain America

The Shadow is a better version of Batman Begins hides.gif

Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen is a much better version of Jackson's Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit.

Also better than Jackson's Tolkien flicks: Milius' Conan the Barbarian.

tumblr_mmgtv1cTqJ1rsxjeno1_500.gif

Edited by Ryan H.

Anders   

The Rocketeer  is a better version of Captain America

YES! (And I say this as someone who thinks Johnston's CAPTAIN AMERICA is the best film in the Marvel Universe franchise).

Dune (Lynch) is a better version of John Carter. And I say that as someone who really likes John Carter.

This I don't agree with, but I see what you're saying.

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE is a better version of David Lynch's DUNE.

Kinch   

As far as films about cancer go, Cries & Whispers is far superior to 50/50 (but less, shall we say, pleasant).

Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen is a much better version of Jackson's Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit.

Also better than Jackson's Tolkien flicks: Milius' Conan the Barbarian.

tumblr_mmgtv1cTqJ1rsxjeno1_500.gif

I've never seen the film, but I'm guessing this is a .gif from Red Sonja?  I just don't seem to remember any forest sequences in either Conan films (but I understand what you're going for smile.png).

Edited by John Drew

Okay, not really a stretch here but, so far (and most likely not to change), Rankin and Bass's The Hobbit is a better film than Peter Jackson's The Hobbit.  And this from someone who is actually finding the Jackson films entertaining, but not very significant.