kenmorefield

A better film about...

Not sure it's quite fair--and I liked the newer movie--but the original A Nightmare on Elm Street is a better version of the 2017 It.

(For that matter, though for a slightly different reason, so is A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge)

Edited by NBooth

10 hours ago, Darrel Manson said:

Films about the same fairly short period of time and events: Dunkirk is better than Darkest Hour. (Although I think they would make a great double feature--Dunkirk playing first

I actually thought Darkest Hour was the better of the two movies, but I appear to be in the minority. 

Darkest Hour is still in my screener pile (I'll view it in the coming week if it gets any noms in the NCFCA), but I expect I would agree with you, as I was immensely disappointed with Dunkirk.

22 hours ago, Andrew said:

Darkest Hour is still in my screener pile (I'll view it in the coming week if it gets any noms in the NCFCA), but I expect I would agree with you, as I was immensely disappointed with Dunkirk.

One of the things I preferred was that DH was able to convey--at least to me--that the principals really were uncertain about the outcome. That gave it much more emotional power in my viewing. I appreciated the cinematography of Dunkirk, but in part because of the BIG MOVIE structure, it would have seemed as anti-conventional for the last mission to fail as it would have been, say, for all the rebels to get wiped out at the end of Star Wars (spoilers for Star Wars, I guess).

If I interpreted the final scene of Thelma correctly, and I'm not 100% sure I did, Lady Macbeth is a better version of Thelma.

Also, Frozen is a better version of Thelma.

For 2017 films about the same WWII event: Dunkirk > Their Finest > Darkest Hour. They're all worth viewing, but for entirely different reasons.