Run-off: Vote Between the Top Two Themes

TylerMcCabe

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For your consideration if we go the 'Memory' route. smile.png

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Tyler wrote:

: Didn't we exclude short films from these lists?

Oh yeah. I wasn't being serious. I just thought it was fun to come across that video while we were in the midst of this discussion.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Come on, comedy.

I'm willing to be that nearly every film likely to be nominated for "memory" is already on one of the existing "top 100" lists. For example: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fanny and Alexander, Days of Heaven, Babette's Feast, How Green Was My Valley, Amadeus, Rashomon, To Kill a Mockingbird...

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I'm willing to be that nearly every film likely to be nominated for "memory" is already on one of the existing "top 100" lists.

Well, my planned nominations include 2046, A.I.: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, THE GAME, HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR, LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD, MARNIE, MYSTERIES OF LISBON, NIGHT ACROSS THE STREET, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, TWIXT, TOTAL RECALL, and many others that haven't (to the best of my knowledge) been featured on an A&F list. Edited by Ryan H.

Come on, comedy.

I'm willing to be that nearly every film likely to be nominated for "memory" is already on one of the existing "top 100" lists. For example: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fanny and Alexander, Days of Heaven, Babette's Feast, How Green Was My Valley, Amadeus, Rashomon, To Kill a Mockingbird...

The only ones one of those that I was possibly thinking was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I was only going to nominate that after Vertigo (admittedly, yes in the top 100 but I believe that's it) Casablanca, Memento, In the City of Sylvia, Rebecca, Spellbound, Sweeney Todd, Wild Strawberries (okay, that's two) and Fellini's Roma.

If memory is chosen, I plan to only nominate and vote for films that directly deal with characters struggling with some aspect of the past.  Just because a film is narrated by an adult recalling his/her earlier years, does not qualify a film as about memory in my opinion.  (i.e. As much as I love Fanny and Alexander, Days of Heaven, Babette's Feast, and To Kill a Mockingbird I would vote against all of them.)  And I would vote against Amadeus because the main conflict of that film is driven by Salieri's envy and pride which carries through his whole life; his late reflection tells the story, but I don't think it's what the story is about.  (In other words, memory forms no substantial part of his hatred for Mozart.)

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Yeah, there has to be more to a "memory" film than a mere flashback structure.

Yeah, there has to be more to a "memory" film than a mere flashback structure.

Oh yeah.  Well my first thought for a film to nominate was Blade Runner, which has nothing to do with flashbacks, and everything to do with the idea that memory may be our most important defining feature and, for some, perhaps our only legacy.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Come on, comedy.

I'm willing to be that nearly every film likely to be nominated for "memory" is already on one of the existing "top 100" lists. 

This is my worry as well.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Come on, comedy.

This is my worry as well.

That is a serious objection that I think was insufficiently explored before the runoff voting commenced. (Not that it would have affected my vote. I love the Divine Comedies idea, and as I may have mentioned, our marriage list was plenty grim enough for me, and a Divine Comedies list seems to me the better hope for a less-grim list this time out.) 

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

It's a valid concern, but one that could easily be remedied by a new restriction on nominations (for example, a rule that states each individual can only nominate *one* film that previously appeared on an A&F list, and apart from that one nomination must nominate films that were not present on previous A&F lists).

Well my first thought for a film to nominate was Blade Runner, which has nothing to do with flashbacks, and everything to do with the idea that memory may be our most important defining feature and, for some, perhaps our only legacy.

If "memory" wins the race, we'll probably need to have a more thorough pre-nomination discussion than we'd had in the past. Blade Runner hadn't occurred to me, but it's a perfect example of what interests me about the topic. I agree that flashback stories and nostalgia trips aren't especially interesting.

Yes, Darren. I have worked much in cinema and memory theory, and it is by no means a narrow field. Night and Fog, for example, is a touchstone for some of the earliest stages of that discussion in academia. But I doubt anyone would even think of nominating it for such a list...

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

M. Leary wrote:

: Yes, Darren. I have worked much in cinema and memory theory, and it is by no means a narrow field. Night and Fog, for example, is a touchstone for some of the earliest stages of that discussion in academia. But I doubt anyone would even think of nominating it for such a list...

Sounds to me like *you* just did! smile.png

Oh, and I would strongly, strongly advocate lifting the "no short films allowed" rule for La Jetee, for whatever that's worth.

What happens if this run-off results in a tie?  Because they're close enough that it's certainly a possibility.  :)

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Yes, Darren. I have worked much in cinema and memory theory, and it is by no means a narrow field. Night and Fog, for example, is a touchstone for some of the earliest stages of that discussion in academia. But I doubt anyone would even think of nominating it for such a list...

I would have. IN fact, we're screening NIGHT AND FOG on Friday as part of of the Memory on Film series I helped curate at our university. Other films we selected for our series were (500) DAYS OF SUMMER, WILD STRAWBERRIES, AFTER LIFE, ETERNAL SUNSHINE, and MY WINNIPEG.

Oh, and I would strongly, strongly advocate lifting the "no short films allowed" rule for La Jetee, for whatever that's worth.

Yes, a memory on film list without LA JETÉE would be severely lacking.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

It's a valid concern, but one that could easily be remedied by a new restriction on nominations (for example, a rule that states each individual can only nominate *one* film that previously appeared on an A&F list, and apart from that one nomination must nominate films that were not present on previous A&F lists).

I like this idea.  I'm wondering if anyone might be willing to make a list of every film that has appeared in the Top 100 lists over the years.  I was going back and forth last night to check on some titles.  It's a bit of a task that might prove a bit discouraging trying to find films that may have appeared once, multiple times, or never.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I like this idea.  I'm wondering if anyone might be willing to make a list of every film that has appeared in the Top 100 lists over the years.  I was going back and forth last night to check on some titles.  It's a bit of a task that might prove a bit discouraging trying to find films that may have appeared once, multiple times, or never.

There already is one. M. Dale Prins once made a spreadsheet containing all the films that had been on any of the five top 100 lists. I filled it out with some missing information and added the top 25 lists to it. The final result is here.

Edited by Rushmore

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.