Oscars 2014: Best Animated Feature

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The 19 films that have been submitted for this category.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 weeks later...

The Annie Awards announced their nominees today (the ones I've seen are in bold):

10 nominations:

• Frozen (Disney-Pixar) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Editing, Character Animation, Character Design, Music, Production Design, Storyboarding, Voice Acting (Josh Gad)
  • Monsters University (Disney-Pixar) -- Best Animated Feature, Writing, Editing, Animated Effects, Character Animation, Character Design, Music, Production Design, Storyboarding, Voice Acting (Billy Crystal)
9 nominations:
  • The Croods (DreamWorks) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Editing, Animated Effects, Character Animation, Character Design, Music, Production Design, Storyboarding
9 nominations in 7 categories:
  • Despicable Me 2 (Universal) -- Best Animated Feature, Character Animation, Character Design, Music, Production Design, Storyboarding, Voice Acting x 3 (Kristen Wiig, Steve Carell, Pierre Coffin)
6 nominations:
  • Ernest & Celestine (GKIDS) -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Editing, Character Animation, Production Design
  • Turbo (DreamWorks) -- Directing, Editing, Animated Effects, Character Design, Music, Voice Acting (Paul Giamatti)
5 nominations:
  • Epic (Fox/Blue Sky) -- Directing, Animated Effects, Character Animation, Music, Production Design
3 nominations:
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Sony) -- Character Design, Music, Voice Acting (Terry Crews)
  • The Wind Rises (Disney-Pixar) -- Best Animated Feature, Writing, Character Animation
1 nomination:
  • Dragons: Defenders of Berk (DreamWorks) -- Animated Effects
  • Free Birds (Reel FX) -- Music
  • A Letter to Momo (GKIDS) -- Best Animated Feature
  • A Monster in Paris (Shout!) -- Character Design
  • Planes (Disney-Pixar) -- Storyboarding
So the only films to be nominated for Directing *and* Writing are Frozen and Ernest & Celestine, both of which are also Best Animated Feature nominees.

All of these films are on the Oscar shortlist in this category except for Dragons: Defenders of Berk, which went straight-to-video, and A Monster in Paris.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 5 weeks later...

The Producers Guild of America has announced its nominations:

• The Croods (DreamWorks Animation)
    Producers: Kristine Belson, Jane Hartwell
  • Despicable Me 2 (Universal Pictures)
    Producers: Janet Healy, Chris Meledandri
  • Epic (Twentieth Century Fox)
    Producers: Jerry Davis, Lori Forte
  • Frozen (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
    Producer: Peter Del Vecho
  • Monsters University (Pixar Animation)
    Producer: Kori Rae

The American Cinema Editors have announced the nominees for the Eddie Award in this category:

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:

Despicable Me 2, Gregory Perler, A.C.E.

Frozen, Jeff Draheim

Monsters University, Greg Snyder

The winner will be announced February 7.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominations in this category:

Outstanding Animation in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2

Despicable Me 2

Frozen

Monsters University

The Croods

Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Epic: Bomba

Epic: Mary Katherine

Frozen: Bringing the Snow Queen to Life

The Croods: Eep

Outstanding Created Environment in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Epic: Pod Patch

Frozen: Elsa's Ice Palace

Monsters University: Campus

The Croods: The Maze

Outstanding FX and Simulation Animation in an Animated Feature Motion Picture

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2

Epic: Boggan Crowds

Frozen: Elsa's Blizzard

The Croods

The winners will be announced February 12.

The Cinema Audio Society has announced its nominations for sound mixing in this category:

The Croods

Despicable Me 2

Frozen

Monsters University

Walking With Dinosaurs

The winner will be announced February 22.

The Motion Picture Sound Editors have announced their nominees for the Golden Reel Award in this category:

BEST SOUND EDITING IN AN ANIMATED FEATURE (ENGLISH OR FOREIGN LANGUAGE) (INCLUDES ADR, DIALOGUE, SOUND EFFECTS AND FOLEY)
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Epic
Ernest & Celestine
Frozen
Monsters University
Planes

The winner will be announced February 16.

Vote!

And note: there are two hand-drawn foreign films among the nominees. Also, Pixar got snubbed. All five nominees are also nominated for the Annie award for best animated feature, three (The Croods, Despicable Me 2, Frozen) are nominated for the Producers Guild, Visual Effects Society and Cinema Audio Society awards, two (Despicable Me 2, Frozen) are nominated for the American Cinema Editors award, and four (The Croods, Despicable Me 2, Ernest & Celestine (!), Frozen) are nominated for the Motion Picture Sound Editors award.

And the PGA award goes to... Frozen!

• 2 weeks later...

And the Annies go to...

Frozen -- 5 awards -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Music, Production Design, Voice Acting (Josh Gad)

The Croods -- 3 awards -- Animated Effects, Character Animation, Character Design

Monsters University -- 2 awards -- Storyboarding, Editing

The Wind Rises -- 1 award -- Writing

And the Eddie award (officially for film editing, not necessarily for best film) in this category goes to... yawn... Frozen.

And the Visual Effects Society awards went to... Frozen. Yep, it won all four of them.

And the Motion Picture Sound Editors award in this category went to... Epic! But Frozen did win in the musical-feature category, where it was up against some live-action films. So make of that what you will.

And the winner of the Cinema Audio Society award is... Frozen.