Oscars 2014: Best Animated Short

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The shortlist:

• “Feral,” Daniel Sousa, director, and Dan Golden, music and sound design (Daniel Sousa)
  • “Get a Horse!” Lauren MacMullan, director, and Dorothy McKim, producer (Walt Disney Feature Animation)
  • “Gloria Victoria,” Theodore Ushev, director (National Film Board of Canada)
  • “Hollow Land,” Uri Kranot and Michelle Kranot, directors (Dansk Tegnefilm, Les Films de l’Arlequin and the National Film Board of Canada)
  • “The Missing Scarf,” Eoin Duffy, director, and Jamie Hogan, producer (Belly Creative Inc.)
  • “Mr. Hublot,” Laurent Witz, director, and Alexandre Espigares, co-director (Zeilt Productions)
  • “Possessions,” Shuhei Morita, director (Sunrise Inc.)
  • “Requiem for Romance,” Jonathan Ng, director (Kungfu Romance Productions Inc.)
  • “Room on the Broom,” Max Lang and Jan Lachauer, directors (Magic Light Pictures)
  • “Subconscious Password,” Chris Landreth, director (National Film Board of Canada with the participation of Seneca College Animation Arts Centre and Copperheart Entertainment)

Trailers for the Canadian shorts:

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

More trailers and/or teasers:

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Two trailers for Mr. Hublot:

More trailers and/or teasers:

Wait. Is Pixar's "Blue Umbrella" disqualified for some reason, or did it not make the shortlist?

Because while I preferred Disney's "Get a Horse!", "Blue Umbrella" ain't chopped liver.

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

And, finally, Requiem for Romance in its entirety. I haven't been able to find any trailers for Get a Horse! or Possessions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIzt2p5OIU

SDG wrote:

: Wait. Is Pixar's "Blue Umbrella" disqualified for some reason, or did it not make the shortlist?

Good question!

SDG wrote:

: Wait. Is Pixar's "Blue Umbrella" disqualified for some reason, or did it not make the shortlist?

Good question!

So far it looks like it just wasn't nominated.

Conspicuously absent from this year's shortlist is Walt Disney Animation's sister studio Pixar, which released "The Blue Umbrella" this year, shown ahead of prints of "Monsters University."

Now here's a troubling question: Could the Academy have failed to nominate it because people didn't recognize it was 100 percent computer-animated -- because it was perceived as partly live-action?

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

• 4 weeks later...

The Annie Awards have announced their nominees in this category (the ones on the Academy shortlist are in bold):

• Despicable Me 2 - Puppy
 - Universal Pictures
  • Get A Horse!
 - Walt Disney Animation Studios
  • Gloria Victoria
 - National Film Board of Canada
  • My Mom is an Airplane
 - Acme Filmworks
  • The Numberlys - 
Moonbot Studios

Cartoon Brew notes that, in addition to the two films I already noted that are nominated for the Annie in this category, there is a third film -- Room on the Broom, nominated for the Annie award for "Animated Special Production" -- that is also on the Oscar shortlist in the Best Animated Short category.

• 1 month later...

Vote!

And note, Get a Horse! and Room on the Broom are the only Academy nominees that are also nominated for the Annie awards, albeit in separate categories.

• 2 weeks later...

You can watch Oscar nominee Feral online for one dollar.

• 2 weeks later...

And the Annie for best animated short goes to... Get a Horse!

The Annie for animated special production did *not* go to Room on a Broom.

And those are the only two Annie nominees in any category that were nominated for the Oscar in this category.