Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thom Wade

Marvel's Netflix Shows

21 posts in this topic

I know it came up in the Marvel/Disney thread...but it seems like the TV section is the proper place to discuss this deal.  So apparently:

http://comicsalliance.com/daredevil-drew-goddard-netflix-marvel/

In auspicious news for Daredevil fans, The Wrap is reporting that Drew Goddard is in talks to script the recently announced Marvel series for Netflix. Goddard earned high praise for his work directing and co-writing the horror hit Cabin in the Woods, and his involvement with Marvel’s Cinematic/Televised Universe makes sense given the studio’s close relationship with Joss Whedon, with whom Goddard has collaborated on Cabin in the Woods, Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Also the writer of Cloverfield and a contributor to Lost, Alias and World War Z, Goddard is a self-professed Daredevil fanatic. When asked by Collider about the possibility of a filmed Daredevil project last year, Goddard threw down the geek cred gauntlet, saying, “You’re talking to a guy that had quotes from ‘Daredevil’ painted on his walls all growing up. When I was 18, I still had the blood-red door [with the quote] ‘I have shown him a man without hope is a man without fear.’”

http://comicsalliance.com/melissa-rosenberg-jessica-jones-netflix-marvel/

Following up on the news that Cabin in the Woods co-writer and director Drew Goddard will be the showrunner for Marvel’s Daredevil series coming to Netflix, Deadline reports that Melissa Rosenberg, the screenwriter of all five of the Twilight films, will be in charge of the Marvel/Netflix Jessica Jones series.

Rosenberg was attached to the series in its original incarnation on ABC, which never came to fruition. She has other experience in comics-based TV, though, having written several episodes of The WB’s Birds of Prey series.

All 60 episodes of the series will be filmed in New York.

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, The Walt Disney Company, Marvel and Netflix Inc. today announced that Marvel’s landmark live-action television series, which will bring Marvel’s “flawed heroes of Hell’s Kitchen” characters to Netflix, the world’s leading Internet TV network, will principally film in New York State. Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking series is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action television storytelling and represents the largest film or television production project commitment in New York State history.

Filming is set to begin in the Summer 2014 and will create at least three thousand jobs in New York State including up to 400 full time jobs. The project will include nearly 60 one-hour episodes focused on the 4 Defenders characters: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

Daredevil will be Marvel's Berlin Alexanderplatz.

We can sit there and look at 13 episodes and plan it out as a very large movie. It makes seeing the bigger picture a little bit easier.

You can't deny that there will be binge-viewing. You know that there are going to be some Marvel fans that when this show premieres, they are going to go on to Netflix, and they are going to sit there for 12 to 13-plus hours, and watch the entire thing all the way through. It's going to happen. The Netflix model offers us the advantage of being able to construct the show in a manner that is very different than a weekly network TV show. Even the way that you parse out information and reveals within the show can be different than you would on weekly TV. With weekly TV, you sit there and go, "The audience may not want to wait two or three weeks to get this particular bit of information." Whereas with Netflix, we might be able to hold onto a particular piece of information, because they may just watch it two hours later.

One day after Edgar Wright ankled Ant-Man, Drew Goddard has ankled Daredevil. Latino Review broke the story, and it has since been confirmed by Variety.

Might have something to do with him working on Sinister Six since that's a Sony production and Daredevil is a Disney production. 

As the Variety report notes, Steven DeKnight, who worked with Whedon on Buffy and Angel, and also worked on Smallville and Spartacus, is taking over for Goddard.

This latest news will make my Tennant- and Marvel-obsessed daughter very happy...

In a show called A.K.A. Jessica Jones. Which, somehow, isn't a Daily Show spinoff.

Are you thinking of Jessica Williams and Jason Jones?

Your lightening-fast reflexes are too much for me; you caught me even as I was correcting my original post. Yes. Yes, I was. I am appropriately shamed.

Edited by NBooth

Tyler wrote:
: Are you thinking of Jessica Williams and Jason Jones?

That's awesome.

Cinematic Universe without end.

The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced new upcoming live-action series exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network following the release of "The Defenders" series in 2017. Continuing the pioneering agreement, Marvel is to develop five new serialized programs starting the second phase of the successful world of street-level heroes. 

The upcoming new content will be led  by a series focused on "Moon Knight," followed by "Brother Voodoo," "Ms. Marvel," "Spider-man 2099," and "The Punisher," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of New York and beyond. Netflix has committed to a minimum of five, thirteen episodes series expanding the world of the Marvel Universe in new, unnexpected ways. 

We Saw the First Episode of Marvel's Jessica Jones and Now We Want More:

It’s a shallow point, but a really important one. Jessica Jones may be one of the first ever comic book shows to get that a dark tone doesn’t necessitate a literally dark screen. It looks like New York actually looks—not overly bright and shiny and clean, but not suffering a never-ending power-outage either.

The use of light and color is so smart. We’ve known for a while that David Tennant will be playing the villain of the series, Kilgrave/The Purple Man, so it shouldn’t be a huge shock to se that purple plays heavily into the show. And it does, but in a way that is far more unsettling than that color has any right to be.

Along with being visible, the show’s also got a great handle on the language of noir. We always hear about how the Marvel movies are each a different genre, but they’ve ceded film noir to Jessica Jones. From the first voice over, you know exactly what you’re about to get: a client, a case, and a bad end. 

My thoughts on Jessica Jones:

The first six or seven episodes go out of their way to “flip the script” of the male hero, almost to the point of tedium. Make no mistake, the mere commitment to reversing gender roles makes a statement in-and-of itself. The noir-ish private eye, with a soft heart under layers of pain and sarcastic wisecracks, the love interest as a strong, but primarily attractive foil, the world-wise, hard as nails employer, the damaged opposite-gender sidekick; every role here could be reversed and you would wind up with a run-of-the-mill thriller. And on top of that, it seems to want to say something about male-on-female domestic abuse. And the cognitive dissonance between those two ends pulls at you as you watch.

But just when you’re ready to write the series off as a one-note genre twist, it gets interesting. Episode six culminates in two melodramatic moments - one that feels forced and shoe-horned into the story between Jones and fellow superhero Luke Cage (Mike Colter, who is up next for his own Netflix series) and one that feels like an artistic miscue as it is revealed why the villain Killgrave (David Tennant) buys a certain house for cash instead of using his superpower of mind control. These moments serve as a reset point, and mark the point where the real story and character development begins. The glass ceiling is broken.

After almost every geek TV fan I know binge-watched Jessica Jones, I decided that the ice-storm weekend would be a good time to catch up--when I had power, that is. Not being a comic-book aficionado, I have no previous knowledge of any of the characters, and don't really care about spoilers, so I had read a few reviews. I will admit one reason I held off so long was that I didn't want to sully my memory of David Tennant's Tenth Doctor, but he was brilliant in Broadchurch, and hey--it's acting! Also, as I embark on teaching a course on Joss Whedon's series, I wanted to judge for myself the conclusions of this commentary that attributes certain elements of the series to ground broken by Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yeah, it goes there.

There's very little light in this superhero noir universe (thanks, Darryl, for elucidating the significance of Rosario Dawson's character), and although I admire the performances and the frank acknowledgment of the damage done by abuse and betrayal, a world in which people are left to earn their own redemption is still a dark, hopeless place.

There doesn't seem to have been any discussion here at A&F re: the Luke Cage or Iron Fist series, but oh well, now we have the team-up show, The Defenders:

I hope The Defenders turns out to be good - Luke Cage and Iron Fist were both rather disappointing.