Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Preacher

/Film:

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon‘s comic series Preacher was crazy. Not just kinda violent, kinda weird, but full-on crazy. For example, it’s got a character whose failed Kurt Cobain-emulating suicide attempt, leads to a grotesquely mangled face and the nickname “Arseface,” none of which precludes him becoming a pop superstar. It features one antagonist whose sexual proclivities turn towards the nigh-unprintable extreme, and whose body is steadily chipped away over the course of the story.

Oh, and the lead character is a small-town Texas preacher whose best friend is a junkie Irish vampire, and who is possessed of a god-like power called Genesis. That power was born of the coupling between angel and demon, and allows him to command a person to do anything with absolute authority. Like “count all the sand on this beach,” which leads one character to do exactly that. Oh, and the preacher, Jesse, wants to find God and fight him.

I haven't read the graphic novel, but that description sounds like it goes beyond what AMC can get away with.

Link for the Preacher film thread, which sounds like it won't happen now.

I've read it. It's good. It's fit for HBO. I think AMC will have to tone it down (not for gratuitous sex scenes) to make it work (but then, when do we ever tune down anything other than sex as "the worst thing that we can show on screen!"?). Not sure what that would wind up looking like.

Oddly/synchronistically, I would trust Vince Gilligan to do it...

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

I will be pretty amazed if they can pull this off.

Yeah. I'm not a fan of Ennis at all, but I was at one point (thanks to his reboot-ish of sorts of the Punisher series). I tried to give this a spin, and...no thanks.

Preacher had a dedicated fanbase...but I cannot see there being a larger untapped audience.  Maybe I am just being negative...but I cannot see this getting a Breaking Bad fanbase.  It is pretty rough material.  I say this as someone who liked the series.  But it pushed the boundaries of good taste in ways I have not seen television willing to do.  So, if they tone the series down, if they make it friendlier to a wider audience...it will bother the fan base.  If they give the fanbase what they want?  I cannot believe it would make it past a first season.

Begins May 22nd.  Early reviews for the pilot are coming in...

Deadline -

Anyone doubting that the seminal 1990s comic series Preacher could be successfully translated for television may now consider their concerns moot. The pilot episode of the upcoming AMC series based on Garth Ennis’ lengthy, insane look at American culture that premiered today during SXSW turns out to be a textbook example of understanding the difference between the letter and the spirit of the law. Expanding on the comic’s philosophical themes while (for budgetary reasons) minimizing its scope, the series from exec producers Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin embraces the archetype-heavy world in which it takes place fully without, descending into either camp or self-seriousness.

Indiewire -

A perfectly grimy Dominic Cooper plays leading man Jesse Custer, who struggles to command his small, gossipy community while greater forces assemble just out of view. The surprisingly well-rendered introductory sequence sets the stage for the next hour of zany action and suspense: a mysterious comet careens through the solar system, crashing into an African church and inhabiting the body of its minister, who promptly explodes in a sea of blood. It’s not the last time. Over the course of 60 minutes, “Preacher” delivers a dizzying volume of first-rate action sequences, grotesque makeup, and macho showdowns, pointing the way to a promising new stage for genre series. While few would consider the first episode of “The Walking Dead” to be its strongest entry, “Preacher” shows off its massive appeal from the start.

I have read the comic series and its related volumes. At its worst, Preacher set a new low bar for mainstream titles. Big yuck factor throughout. But if the series actually pulls off the cosmic God, Preacher, Gunslinger hate triangle well - then its rewriting of the Christian fallen angel tradition will be worth a peek. 

Preacher has the weird distinction of being one of the nastiest comic series, but also the most overt attempt to create a bastardization of the Christian theodicy, using explicitly biblical traditions.

On 11/17/2013 at 11:15 AM, Thom Wade said:

I say this as someone who liked the series.  But it pushed the boundaries of good taste in ways I have not seen television willing to do.  So, if they tone the series down, if they make it friendlier to a wider audience...it will bother the fan base.  If they give the fanbase what they want?  I cannot believe it would make it past a first season.

Right. I just reread all of Preacher (which is even more transgressive than I remember!). It is really inflected by the same wanton grindhouse sensibility that made Tarantino a household name during the same era. There is something going on in the 90s that makes Tarantino. Deadpool, Preacher, etc... culturally relevant.

Not sure how the essence of Preacher would pass TV censors while retaining what made it appealing to the fanbase in the first place. Amazon's Hand of God comes a little close, maybe.

Well........  the pilot was what it was.  I'd read that this was going to be more of an "In the spirit of" interpretation of the comic, rather than a full fledged adaptation, and it sure was that.  There was some good stuff - the bar fight, for example - and I really enjoyed the actor playing Cassidy.  But I was rather less than impressed with the actors playing Jesse and Tulip, and their oh so bad "suthun" accents.  I'm not sure if this is going to be around as long as some other AMC shows.

That's true, and I didn't think Hell on Wheels would last, but many friends of mine have told me that that show really evolved into something pretty good over the years.