Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

Condiments: Mustards, Mayos, Catsups, Hot Sauces...

At my previous workplace, hot sauce was major player in the lunch room.  Tapatio was the sauce of choice, not too hot, and loved by everyone.  But all of us would at one time or another bring in something different, something to challenge the tongue.  You find out quickly that there are a lot of bad hot sauces on the market.  Too many companies putting out products that are all heat, but no flavor.  Every once in while, though, someone would bring in a product that had lots of heat, and also add some good flavor.  That seemed to be a trick that few products could accomplish.  The best one of these was undoubtedly Crazy Mother Pucker's Liquid Lava.  You only needed a few drops of this to bring on the heat, but it had a real nice smokey flavor underneath all the peppers.

HH247.jpg

So, who likes what here?  What combinations can you not live without?  Are you a mayo person, or are you like me and get nauseous at the sight of a jar of Hellmans?  Any odd condiments you enjoy?  Home made or store bought?  Any recipes you'd like to pass around?

I'd love to talk about hot sauces, if only because I've only recently developed enough interest/tolerance to want to explore them but am overwhelmed by the options.

But for now: How can you not like mayo? Stuff's delicious!

One of my favorite memories of our trips to Downeast Maine is a tour of Raye's Mustard.

While most modern mustards are either cooked or ground by high-speed technology, only Raye’s maintains the traditional cold grind process using the original stones from France and made in the same mill since 1900. No one else can make that claim. 

The cold grind process preserves the volatile taste qualities of the whole seeds, enhanced by the flavor sensations of natural herbs and spices. The resulting flavor experience comes in part from the heightened awareness of taste, each flavor a testament to the pride that goes into every jar. Raye’s award winning small batch blends are hand crafted for the true artisanal condiment connoisseur.

Tapatio was the sauce of choice, not too hot, and loved by everyone.

I've got a high tolerance for heat (up to having had ghost pepper sauce), so I'm not the average consumer, but Tapatio I don't even consider a "hot" sauce.

My favorite day-to-day hot sauces are Valentina's black label extra hot sauce and Sriracha.

Mayo I often use, but Miracle Whip is gag inducing.

I love Malcolm Gladwell's exploration of Ketchup and Mustard...

Josie   

I think mayonnaise tastes fine out of jars but it's also quite easy to make, as long as you can separate eggs. And delicious and very adaptable!  You can add garlic for aioli, or mustard or cayenne, or chop in parsley and chives (or whatever herbs you like). You could probably even make a hot sauce mayo.  The only caveat is the eggs are raw - and I know some people need to avoid that.

Finished my Texas Pete yesterday and opened a bottle of habanero hot sauce this morning. It's OK, but I find myself thinking, "I have to get through an entire bottle of this stuff?"

Habanero is about the level of heat I like. But past the heat, I'm not much of a fan of the flavor of habanero peppers. But, add a little sweetener, and perfection. A good honey habanero sauce is perfection.