Oscars 2014: Best Visual Effects

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The shortlist:

• “Elysium”
  • “Gravity”
  • “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”
  • “Iron Man 3”
  • “The Lone Ranger”
  • “Oblivion”
  • “Star Trek Into Darkness”
  • “Thor: The Dark World”
  • “Pacific Rim”
  • “World War Z”

Any conspicuous omissions here?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The shortlist:

• “Elysium”
  • “Gravity”
  • “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug”
  • “Iron Man 3”
  • “The Lone Ranger”
  • “Oblivion”
  • “Star Trek Into Darkness”
  • “Thor: The Dark World”
  • “Pacific Rim”
  • “World War Z”

Any conspicuous omissions here?

Not to add any more "hate" onto The Lone Ranger, but were the effects in that really better than Ender's Game?  Or was that one too many space sagas to consider?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Kris Tapley:

Sorry, it's a little ridiculous that "Man of Steel" -- I don't care WHAT you think of the film otherwise -- was left off the Academy's list of seven bake-off finalists for Best Visual Effects. But these things are often about politics, and I imagine there was plenty of that at play here. . . .

Everything else we were predicting to be nominated made the cut. Others notable misses, though, include "Rush," "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," "The Great Gatsby," "Oz the Great and Powerful" and "Ender's Game." I personally think "This is the End" should have at least made it this far but, again, effects house politics. . . .

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominations in this category:

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects-Driven Feature Motion Picture

Gravity

Iron Man 3

Pacific Rim

Star Trek: Into Darkness

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Feature Motion Picture

Rush

The Great Gatsby

The Lone Ranger

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

The Wolf of Wall Street

White House Down

Outstanding Animated Character in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture

Gravity: Ryan

Oz the Great and Powerful: China Girl

Pacific Rim: Kaiju - Leatherback

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Smaug

Outstanding Created Environment in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture

Elysium: Torus

Gravity: Interior

Gravity: Exterior

Iron Man 3: Shipyard

Pacific Rim: Virtual Hong Kong

Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture

Gravity

Iron Man 3

Man of Steel

Pacific Rim: Hong Kong Ocean Brawl

Outstanding Models in a Feature Motion Picture

Gravity: ISS Exterior

Pacific Rim

Star Trek: Into Darkness

The Lone Ranger: Colby Locomotive

Outstanding FX and Simulation Animation in a Live Action Feature Motion Picture

Gravity: Parachute and ISS Destruction

Man of Steel

Pacific Rim: Fluid Simulation & Destruction

Outstanding Compositing in a Feature Motion Picture

Elysium

Gravity

Iron Man 3: Barrel of Monkeys

Iron Man 3: House Attack

The winners will be announced February 12.

Vote!

• 4 weeks later...

And the winners of the Visual Effects Society awards are... Gravity, in six of the seven categories it was nominated for -- the one category it lost was animated character in a live action feature, which was won by The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug for its title character -- and The Lone Ranger, which won in the one category that Gravity was not eligible for. All three films are nominated for the Oscar.