Oscars 2014: Best Picture

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Screen Actors Guild has nominated the following films for its ensemble award, which is basically the SAG equivalent of a Best Picture nomination:

• 12 Years a Slave
  • American Hustle
  • August: Osage County
  • Dallas Buyers Club
  • Lee Daniels' The Butler

The winner will be announced January 18, two days after the Oscar nominees are announced.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

There are 289 contenders for the Best Picture award.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...

The Producers Guild of America has announced its nominations:

• American Hustle (Columbia Pictures)
    Producers: Megan Ellison, Jon Gordon, Charles Roven, Richard Suckle
  • Blue Jasmine (Sony Pictures Classics)
    Producers: Letty Aronson, Stephen Tenenbaum
  • Captain Phillips (Columbia Pictures)
    Producers: Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca, Scott Rudin
  • Dallas Buyers Club (Focus Features)
    Producers: Robbie Brenner, Rachel Winter
  • Gravity (Warner Bros. Pictures)
    Producers: Alfonso Cuarón, David Heyman
  • Her (Warner Bros. Pictures)
    Producers: Megan Ellison, Spike Jonze, Vincent Landay
  • Nebraska (Paramount Pictures)
    Producers: Albert Berger, Ron Yerxa
  • Saving Mr. Banks (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
    Producers: Ian Collie, Alison Owen, Philip Steuer
  • 12 Years a Slave (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
    Producers: Anthony Katagas, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen, Brad Pitt & Dede Gardner
  • Wolf of Wall Street (Paramount Pictures)

Ahem.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Christian wrote:
: Ahem.

Eh? We always post the guild awards in the Oscars threads, as the guild awards are one of those things that Oscar fortune tellers rely upon (given that there is significant overlap in the memberships of the guilds and the Academy, etc.). And isn't that other thread meant to be for *critics* and their lists?

The Producers Guild of America has announced its nominations:

• Wolf of Wall Street (Paramount Pictures)

Interesting that they list Paramount since they are just distributing and doing publicity.  Red Granite is the real production company.  (Story in LA Times a week or so ago talked about Red Granite and their willingness to take films that scare off other companies.)

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Darrel Manson wrote:
: Interesting that they list Paramount since they are just distributing and doing publicity.  Red Granite is the real production company.

That's the case for a few of these films, I think. I did a double-take when I saw American Hustle listed as a "Columbia Pictures" film, because that wasn't who distributed the film here in Canada at all. (The IMDb lists the film's producers as Atlas Entertainment and Annapurna Pictures. Columbia Pictures is just the American distributor.)

Similar thing with Her: its production company is Annapurna Pictures, and Warner Brothers is merely the North American distributor.

Christian wrote:

: Ahem.

Eh? We always post the guild awards in the Oscars threads, as the guild awards are one of those things that Oscar fortune tellers rely upon (given that there is significant overlap in the memberships of the guilds and the Academy, etc.). And isn't that other thread meant to be for *critics* and their lists?

There's precedent? I've probably followed it in previous years. This year I saw a thread titled 2013 Critics' Lists, Awards Lists, MCN, etc. and thought awards went there. What awards, exactly, are we supposed to post in that other thread?

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Christian wrote

: What awards, exactly, are we supposed to post in that other thread?

Critics' awards, I would have thought.

Christian wrote

: What awards, exactly, are we supposed to post in that other thread?

Critics' awards, I would have thought.

What's the difference between Critics' Lists and Awards Lists in that thread title? Your answer suggests "none," but there's a comma between the groupings. What is an awards list if not a list of, say, the Producers Guild Awards?

Oh, heck with it. If we've always done it this way, carry on. But I supposed I'll ask this question again next year. I'm not sure why I haven't asked it in earlier years.

• 2 weeks later...

Vote!

And note, the nine Academy nominees include only three of the five SAG ensemble nominees (American Hustle, Dallas Buyers Club, 12 Years a Slave), but they also include eight of the ten Producers Guild nominees (with Philomena taking the spot that the Producers Guild had given to Blue Jasmine and/or Saving Mr Banks).

And the SAG award for best acting ensemble goes to... American Hustle!

Glenn Whipp in LA Times estimates early odds:

American Hustle: 2-1

12 Years a Slave: 4-1

Gravity: 9-2

Wolf of Wall Street: 1511

Nebraska: 15-1

Dallas Buyers Club: 25-1

Her: 30-1

Captain Phillips: 40-1

Philomena: 50-1

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

And the PGA award goes to... the first-ever tie, between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave!

• 1 month later...