Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Sinister Six

Links to our threads on Spider-Man 2 (2004), Spider-Man 3 (2007), The Amazing Spider-Man (2012), The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014), the untitled Spider-Man re-reboot (2017) and Venom (in development).

Links to our threads on the original Spider-Man (2002) at the old Novogate discussion board:

- - -

Sony Pictures Announces Spider-Man Spinoffs Venom and Sinister Six

In a move said "to forge a new legacy in the story of Peter Parker on screen," Sony Pictures Entertainment announced today that they will, in association with Marvel Entertainment, develop several new projects in the Spider-Man franchise, with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon, and Drew Goddard to collaborate on overseeing the developing story over several films that will be produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach.
The five writers, along with the two producers and Marc Webb, have formed a franchise brain trust to expand the universe for the brand and to develop a continuous tone and thread throughout the films. Under the deals, the studio announced that Kurtzman & Orci & Pinkner are writing the screenplay for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which the studio hopes Webb will return to direct. That film will go into production next fall for release on June 10, 2016. In addition, the team will build on the cinematic foundation laid by Webb, Arad, and Tolmach in the first two movies. They will expand the franchise with Kurtzman & Orci & Solomon writing the screenplay for Venom, which Kurtzman will direct. Goddard, then, will write with an eye to direct, The Sinister Six, focusing on the villains in the franchise. Hannah Minghella and Rachel O’Connor will oversee the development and production of these films for the studio. . . .

ComingSoon.net, December 12

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Marvel-ization (oversaturation) of every major franchise (superhero and otherwise) is starting to grate on me. I'm as guilty for allowing this to come to pass as anyone--I've given my money to plenty of franchise fare over the past years, including plenty of Marvel's feature films--and this all-encompassing, multimedia franchise approach is a juggernaut that is probably unstoppable. But it's stuff like this that makes Hollywood seem more and more like a lost cause.

This film is now taking the 2016 release date that once belonged to The Amazing Spider-Man 3. Except it's coming out in November, instead of in the summer.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Reportedly, this film is still in development (though it no longer has a release date), despite the recent announcement that the Spider-Man franchise is being rebooted again (and merged with the Marvel Cinematic Universe).

Variety:

The studio is still moving forward with the Spider-Man villain-centric “Sinister Six,” and “Venom” spinoff, as well as a film that features female characters in the “Spider-Man” universe. “The Amazing Spider-Man 3″ has been cancelled. While Marvel’s Kevin Feige is involved with Sony’s new “Spider-Man” films, he is currently not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs, sources say.

Wait... how can you cancel The Amazing Spider-Man 3 (and presumably its universe) if you're still going ahead with Sinister Six? (As one pundit put it, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was basically one long ad for Sinister Six.)