Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2014: Best Original Song

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nothing from Inside Llewyn Davis? Really?

According to the soundtrack list, all of its songs are either covers or arrangements of traditional folk songs, which wouldn't qualify as "original" for the Oscar rules.

Vote!

I'm not sure I'd even *heard* of Alone Yet Not Alone prior to this, but apparently it's a "historical indie Christian film" set during the Seven Years War (known to Americans as the French & Indian War).

Interesting.

“Alone Yet Not Alone”
Certainly the nomination this year that not a single person would have predicted, and the one that caused whiplash-inducing double-takes on its announcement, is this faith-based movie about a German immigrant family during the French and Indian war. Almost no one had heard of the film, and no one imagined that its title song, performed by quadriplegic evangelical Christian author Joni Eareckson Tada would be an Oscar nominee, and yet here it is, destined to be a question in movie trivia quizzes for ever more.

More on "Alone Yet Not Alone."

Tada recalls the occasion when she was invited to record the song for the film.

"Last year when I spoke at the closing session of the National Religious Broadcasters' convention, I sang several hymns as part of my message," she says. "In the audience were some people connected with Enthuse Entertainment and the producer of Alone Yet Not Alone, who later asked if I would be interested in recording the theme song for the movie.

"When I heard the simple, melodic ballad, I wanted to record it. I really resonated with the words—after all, I sit down in a stand-up world and often feel alone; but of course with my faith in God, I'm never really alone! The Bible is filled with stories of God picking ill-equipped, unskilled people for places of great influence, which is how I feel as a quadriplegic singing an Academy Award-nominated song."

There has been some surprise in industry circles that a relatively unknown, faith-based historical film has received such attention, but those involved have said the song is deserving of such attention as both a musical work and for its integral role in the film.

Alone Yet Not Alone is set in 1755 and features two young sisters who are kidnapped by Delaware Indians during the French and Indian War. It is their faith and a family hymn—"Alone Yet Not Alone"—that help them stay strong and endure such hardship.

Edited by Christian

Interesting. It did seem to have been a little improperly championed by one on high - and not in the spiritual sense. On the other hand, I thought 50% of everything in Hollywood was a question of who you know...