Sign in to follow this  
Gina

The Films of 1939

I endorse this project! Keep reminding us from month to month!

I am very happy to see Gunga Din, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington on BreakPoint's list.

I also have great affection for Beau Geste, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Dodge City, Another Thin Man, The Roaring Twenties, On Borrowed Time and Jamaica Inn, all of which don't seem to have made the list.

But ...

... given that BreakPoint is an explicitly Christian publication, I think someone should really do a write-up for Henry King's Stanley and Livingstone.  It's one of Cedric Hardwicke's best roles, and I don't think Dr. David Livingstone has ever been portrayed better on the big screen since.

Thanks for the feedback, you guys! I'll take a look at that one, J.A.A. There were just too many films and not enough time, or writers. :) But I would like to do a sort of roundup post at the end that lists a bunch of other worthwhile films from that year, and maybe I can add that one to the list.