Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

R.I.P., Philip Seymour Hoffman

Oh, no, no, no...

The Wall Street Journal reports:

Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday afternoon in his New York City apartment, a law-enforcement official said.

The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.

Edited by Overstreet

Woa.. this is shocking.

It's also in yahoo news.  

Terrible.

Edited by Attica

What absolutely terrible news.  When I first saw a headline I thought it must be one of those internet hoaxes.

Edited by Anodos

What absolutely terrible news.  When I first saw a headline I thought it must be one of those internet hoaxes.

[EDIT: The story I linked seems to have been an ill-timed satirical piece]

This is terrible, terrible news. I wasn't a "fan" in that I didn't go out of my way to see his movies, but every time he was in one I knew it would be something special. What a loss.

Edited by NBooth

Oh. Dear

Edited by Attica

With reason.

This is terrible, terrible news. I wasn't a "fan" in that I didn't go out of my way to see his movies, but every time he was in one I knew it would be something special. What a loss.

Yes, I just noticed that horrible coincidence. I'd like to think it would put a stop to the whole distasteful death hoax thing, but I'm not hoping.

I agree with what you say about his work - I didn't really follow his career, but a quick look at Wikipedia shows I've seen him in 17 films, and a good handful of those performances are etched on the memory. His career highlights for me were:

Magnolia

The Talented Mr Ripley

Almost Famous (Lester Bangs! Perhaps my favourite...)

Punch-Drunk Love

25th Hour

Capote

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Synecdoche, New York (Possibly his best work...)

The Master

He was one of the great actors of our generation.  He had incredible range, and worked on blockbuster and art film alike.  I am shocked that he's gone much too soon.

He really was an excellent actor.

I don't think I've ever felt so devastated over the loss of an actor. His collaborations with Paul Thomas Anderson and his role in Synecdoche, New York have been so important to me, and I'm going to be revisiting each of those films this week and crying real tears.

I ache for all the future PTA collaborations that will never be. I ache for an actor who surely had many, many roles left in him.

And I guess the Hunger Games are pretty much f**ked.

Didn't they already shoot the new Hunger Games?

It sounds like they're in the middle of filming them right now.

“We start shooting again in Atlanta right after Thanksgiving until December 20th, then we break for Christmas and then we shoot for three more months in Atlanta and two months in Europe,” Lawrence noted. “We’re mostly shooting in sequence except for a scene here and there.”

Edited by Tyler

How indescribably sad.  Even in a small role such as Brandt in The Big Lebowski, he brought a gemlike presence to his work.  How sad for his partner, children, and friends.

How sad for his partner, children, and friends.

Yes. I think he had two little girls, 5 and 7, and a 10 year old son.

Edited by Josie

Yes, I echo the sentiments someone shared earlier about this being an especially painful loss of an actor.  I felt grief when I heard the news, and it is hard to think of another actor's death that prompted me to feel such a level of grief. 

I was trying just now to think of why it was that I feel such grief for Hoffman.  Why do I feel this way, I thought?   Of course it is partly because his life was cut off in its prime.  Of course it is partly because of the reported overdose.  Of course it is partly because his work ranges from excellent to classic. 

But one of the interesting reasons I came up with is that, even though a number of his characters (The Master, Punch Drunk Love, etc.) are people who I wouldn't be too eager to meet in real life, he played many characters in such a way that made me really eager to sit down and chat with his real-life self.  Whatever it was of himself that he put into his roles in movies like Magnolia, 25th Hour, and Synecdoche, New York, was so fascinating and so real that you wanted to see what the real person was like.  Sadly, I and many others will not get that chance.

cleardot.gifWhen I was in college my family moved to upsate NY and I have spent a week or so there every year as a result. PSH is from Rochester and it was a lock that the local paper would have an article about him every single time I was in town. I have read them all.  Local boy made awesome.

He was "not a typical hollywood asshole" was the general thrust of every article.

Miss him already.

"That was when she was the first lady of the nation. Not just the state of California."

There are no words.  What a tragic loss.  May he rest in peace.

Matt Zoller Seitz: Strength and compassion: a note to drug abuse concern trolls, concerning Philip Seymour Hoffman

An addict's craving for the addictive substance or activity is hellishly powerful, especially during the chaotic early phase of recovery. Imagine a little kid trying to fend off a grownup who keeps trying to shove him and knock him over. That's the imbalance between the addict and the craving. It gets better over time, but slowly, and at no point does recovery become a done deal, something one can take for granted.  Most addicts relapse many times before sobriety sticks and lasts. And just because the beast is in hibernation doesn't mean it can't wake up without warning and start breaking things.

Inhabitants of the planet Earth know this, or ought to.

What I want to tell people who would ignore the reality of addiction—particularly those who fantasize that they're righteous truth-tellers who are just trying to "keep it real"—is this: 

Be a human being, why don't you? 

Have some decency. 

Have some compassion. 

The man tried hard, for decades, but he wasn't strong enough.

For those of you in the L.A. area, the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica will be screening a series of PSH's films in March, from the 14th thru the 27th.

aero_zps44bf7649.jpg