Sign in to follow this  

I think a few of the folks here recommended 2011's Rise Ye Sunken Ships by the new band We Are Augustines.  That album became a favorite of mine with its garage-y alternative sound, with a raspy soulful vocal performance by lead singer Billy McCarthy as he wrestled with the loss of his brother James to drug overdose (I think Book of James is my favorite track on the disc). 

They're out today with their sophomore effort, simply titled Augustines, and dropped the "We are" part of their moniker--probably a bad branding decision when no one knows who you are anyway and you're still building equity, but the album, of which I'm only a few tracks in, still carries the garage sounds forward but in an anthem stadium rock urgency.  It's a little earnest I guess, but if you're hankering for a toe tapping sing out loud rip--give them a whirl.

I'm sure some of our music experts could say more--both good and bad--but these are one of the few bands that I'll buy the album sight unseen and be glad I did. 

I think a few of the folks here recommended 2011's Rise Ye Sunken Ships by the new band We Are Augustines.  That album became a favorite of mine with its garage-y alternative sound, with a raspy soulful vocal performance by lead singer Billy McCarthy as he wrestled with the loss of his brother James to drug overdose (I think Book of James is my favorite track on the disc). 

They're out today with their sophomore effort, simply titled Augustines, and dropped the "We are" part of their moniker--probably a bad branding decision when no one knows who you are anyway and you're still building equity, but the album, of which I'm only a few tracks in, still carries the garage sounds forward but in an anthem stadium rock urgency.  It's a little earnest I guess, but if you're hankering for a toe tapping sing out loud rip--give them a whirl.

I'm sure some of our music experts could say more--both good and bad--but these are one of the few bands that I'll buy the album sight unseen and be glad I did. 

The debut album was tremendous; an arena shaker that also featured pensive, thoughtful lyrics and genuine heartbreak. And yes, a raspy, soulful lead singer. I heard some of the new songs live a few months ago, when I saw Augustines open for Frightened Rabbit. I liked what I heard, and I can't wait to hear more. Thanks for the heads-up.

Wow, this is great stuff. Has the momentum of the Hold Steady, the fever of The Frames, and a dollop of Pearl Jam. Thanks, Buckeye.

Edited by Overstreet