Tyler

In a Valley of Violence

Tyler   

The Hollywood Reporter:

John Travolta and Ethan Hawke are in negotiations to team up on In a Valley of Violence, a new  movie from producer Jason Blum and his Blumhouse production banner.

Ti West, one of the filmmakers that is part of the new generation of horrormeisters, is writing and will direct the project, which is described as a revenge Western film set in the 1890s. No other plot details were revealed.

In some ways, Ti West making a revenge Western makes perfect sense. It's also not what I was expecting at all.

Link to The Innkeepers and The Sacrament. Couldn't find a thread for The House of the Devil.

And The Purge, Hawke's recent collaboration with Blumhouse.

I can't believe I missed this the first time around. West has been tweeting a fair bit about the picture, now in its second week of shooting. Some things I've learned:

• It's not horror, at all
  • Also involved in the picture: James Ransone (Ziggy from The Wire!), Karen Gillan, and Taissa Farmiga.
  • West is shooting it in 35mm
Edited by Jason Panella

Anodos   

I can't believe I missed this the first time around. West has been tweeting a fair bit about the picture, now in its second week of shooting. Some things I've learned:

• It's not horror, at all
  • Also involved in the picture: James Ransone (Ziggy from The Wire!), Karen Gillan, and Taissa Vermaga.
  • West is shooting it in 35mm

Interesting. When I first saw this topic was tagged 'Ti West', I assumed it was another horror. Personally I'm more interested in a 'revenge Western' at this point in time. Especially if it's lower budget and can thus afford to focus less on all the usual tropes.

Oh, and one correction - Taissa is Vera Farmiga's younger sister; Vermaga being a deft abbreviation of the latter's name.

Edited by Anodos

Oh, and one correction - Taissa is Vera Farmiga's younger sister; Vermaga being a deft abbreviation of the latter's name.

Thanks. This isn't the first time I've made this error, either!

Doing my quarterly pop-in to A&F to update this thread. 

Film festival reviews so far are mostly positive. Lots of reviews are noting how funny the film is.

This was surprisingly good at SXSW. Kinda a Silverado vibe in the writing, but a little grittier. Liked Hawke a lot.