Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate

Josh Hamm

The first song from Wovenhand's upcoming album, Refractory Obdurate, is on Youtube for your listening pleasure.

It's heavier  than most of D.E.E,'s previous music, but it's still undeniably his style. I look forward to anything he does, and I don't think the album will disappoint.  I'm also really optimistic that this is being handled through Deathwish. The label was formed by Jacob Bannon, from the metalcore-punk rock band Converge, and the label and a many of their bands are fairly anti-Christian in their lyrics and one of their members has made it clear before that he record/work with Christians.In light of that, I think it's great that they're working with Edwards and Wovenhand besides ideological differences.

Here's the basic press release:

"Brought to you by a partnership of Deathwish and Glitterhouse Records, release dates are as follows:

April 29th: Deathwish Release Date (World)
April 25th: Glitterhouse Release Date (Europe)

Wovenhand is a band led by dedicated life-musician and lyricist, David Eugene Edwards. Over the last two decades, his prolific work in both Wovenhand and the legendary 16 Horsepower has influenced and inspired a generation of musicians throughout the expansive alternative music world. 

Wovenhand cannot be described in traditional terms. Their sound is an organic, weavework of neo-folk, post rock, punk, old-time, and alternative sounds. All coming together as a vehicle for David's soulful expression and constant spiritual self exploration. Sometimes sad and sorrowed and at other times uplifting, Wovenhand are always unforgettable in spirit and sound. 

Refractory Obdurate is the latest album from Wovenhand. Joining David on this album are longtime percussionist Ordy Garrison, along with musicians Chuck French and Neil Keener (Planes Mistaken For Stars, Git Some).

Refractory Obdurate is a moving masterwork that shows Wovenhand exploring louder roots hinted at on prior albums. As they maintain their melodious course, "Good Shepherd", "Field of Hedon", and "Hiss", stomp forth with a newly amplified punk rock heart. While "The Refractory", "Salome", and "Obdurate Obscura" each ascend epically into a multi-layered haze. Ten songs in all, Refractory Obdurate plays as a beautifully crafted patchwork that transcends genres and expectation; a true artistic achievement, that only Wovenhand could offer."

"What's prayer? It's shooting shafts in the dark." -- Frederick Buechner, Godric

The Laughing Stalk is my favourite Woven Hand album, but two heavy records in a row makes me wish DEE would return to the early sounds of Consider The Birds or even 16 Horsepower's twang.

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

There is a new video of Woven Hand playing one of their new songs:

Also, Glitterhouses' website has some interesting facts about DEE and Woven Hand. #10 is interesting!

10 NEED TO KNOW FACTS ABOUT WOVENHAND |

posted at 03/24/2014

Did you know that:

01 Refractory Obdurate was mixed and mastered by Sanford Parker and Collin Jordan, who even produced metal legends Voivod's current album "Target Earth"?

02 Refractory Obdurate will be released in the US by Hardcore-Punk label Deathwish Inc., which was founded by Jacob Bannon of US hardcore legends Converge?

03 Wovenhand was founded in 2001 during the sabbatical year of alternative country heroes 16 Horsepower?

04 David Eugene Edwards, who was raised by his grandfather (a nazarenian preacher), was married at the age of 17?

05 Black Metal maniacs Marduk did a cover of the Wovenhand song "Oil On Panel"?

06 all drum rythms played on „The Laughing Stalk“ are based on traditional Native American rhythms?

07 Wovenhand's last album „The Laughing Stalk“ hit the charts in Sweden at #34 and in Belgium at #57?

08 David Eugene Edwards' other grandfather was a Cherokee Indian who inspired him to integrate indian monologues during Wovenhand live shows?

09 it's now exactly 20 years since the release of the first 16 Horsepower record „Shametown“ (Ricochet Records)?

10 David Eugene Edwards, Pascal Humbert and Jean-Yves Tola got to know each other 1990 in L.A. when they worked for the legendary low-budget director Roger Corman?

He finds no mercy

• 2 weeks later...

The entire album is now streaming via Pitchfork Advance.

• 2 months later...

This question is becoming more important to me as I consider which format is best for an album: Does the CD come with printed lyrics? If it doesn't, I may spring for the vinyl. Anybody here picked up the CD yet?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

This question is becoming more important to me as I consider which format is best for an album: Does the CD come with printed lyrics? If it doesn't, I may spring for the vinyl. Anybody here picked up the CD yet?

Yes, it has the lyrics printed onto the inside of the cardboard case. The lyrics should also be available online by now?

He finds no mercy