Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Our favorite movies of 2014 [Was: Best of 2014 So Far]

Steven, if you turned off The Immigrant before the confession scene, I . . . I . . . might cry a little. I know your life is crazy busy, but find two hours some time when you're alert and primed for a great film -- not rushing to edit a piece or finalize a list -- and give it another shot. I can't imagine you not loving the last third of The Immigrant (and in retrospect everything that comes before it).

Thanks all, especially Darren for that heartfelt comment, which has definitely tipped me over the edge. 

FWIW, I did appreciate and admire what I saw of The Immigrant, but it hadn't yet grabbed me as something really great, and at that point in my life that's what I was interested in.

I now suspect I was steered wrong and should have stuck with it. Of course, you can't stick with everything all the time, but this time I think I made a mistake. 

I promise I'll revisit it. 

And if it's as great as you all say it is, I'll find time in the coming months to write a full review.

I'm glad you'll watch it all the way through, but I wouldn't completely rule out Victor's thoughts on the film, which are, after all, pretty much echoed by Ryan above. But you won't know until you try.

I'm glad you'll watch it all the way through, but I wouldn't completely rule out Victor's thoughts on the film, which are, after all, pretty much echoed by Ryan above. But you won't know until you try.

Yes, but as Ryan says, he and I come from rather different places in our approach to film (though not as different, I think, as the complete lack of common ground in our top films lists this year would suggest). 

:)

For the sake of extra encouragement, I agree with Darren's post above about scenes you've yet to get to. I love The Immigrant. Thus far, it's my favorite film of 2014 and it's not really close, though there are several films I still need to catch up with.

Yeah, THE IMMIGRANT was my #2 and my brother's #1, so I do hope you'll get to it. I'd value reading your thoughts on the whole film.