Sign in to follow this  
Nick Alexander

The Matrix Reloaded

I finally saw Matrix Reloaded last night.

Here was a film that I just kept putting off, in favor of the more indie fare. I assumed it would be the no. 1 film of the summer (actually, Nemo is, so far). I decided to wait until it hits the cheap theater in my area, which it did, and I skipped it that week to catch "Together," also in its final stay. Surely, this film would play there for a couple of weeks. Alas, not to be. It lasted one week.

I had only one theater within a forty mile range that was playing it, and only at one time (9:10), and it looked like it would be the last week there. AND I had to pay full price.

So here I am, groggy, for finally catching one of the most-talked about films of the summer, and I want to catch up on all the talk about it, spoilers included, and guess what? It's all on the previous site (which I cannot find)!

This is my reward for catching "Swimming Pool", "L'Auberge Espagnole", "Spellbound", "Winged Migration", "Together", "Man Without a Past" and... okay, "Terminator 3".

All in all, I admired it (as opposed to loved it). But that "admiration" was not the let-down that I thought it would be. It's one thing to catch the must-see film of the summer, in the middle of its Time-magazine-covered hype and opening weekend glory, it's an altogether other story to see it with lowered expectations, for no other reason than to follow the story as it builds up for part 3.

[spoilers]

I was not bothered by the jungle-beat dance/Neo-Trinity coupling juxtaposition scene, probably because I thought it would be a lot worse than it actually was. I think the reason the Wachowskis included it is because that first hour is a tough one, and they had to find ways to keep viewer interest from lagging. So we had a few unnecessary fights, and, taking a page from the Joel Silver handbook, an odd love scene. What made it work was the punchline, Neo's recurring vision about Trinity, and am not sure if that would have been as effective without what happened before.

I thought some of the fight sequences went too long, especially the one with the innumerable Agent Smiths. However, I really liked the freeway scene.

Funny, I'm not so bothered by the prospect of 250,000 folks plunging to their deaths, but I was bothered by a lot of the profanity in this film. Am I wrong in thinking that the first Matrix had very little profanity?

I liked the scene where Neo meets The Architect. Very well done, and effective use of replaying scenes from Matrix 1. Personally (this is a theory so it's not a spoiler), I believe the Architect to be an illusion, a program disseminating false information to Neo, so that Neo would forgo his mission.

I liked the keymaster too. But Sigourney Weaver was much, much better in this role. laugh.gif

Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

I want to catch up on all the talk about it, spoilers included, and guess what? It's all on the previous site (which I cannot find)!

Try this:

http://promontoryfilm.com/archives/151763-1.html

Nick Alexander wrote

I liked the keymaster too. But Sigourney Weaver was much, much better in this role.

Actually, Sig was the gatekeeper. It was Rick M. who was the keymaster. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more.

SPOILER

Nick A. also wrote

I believe the Architect to be an illusion, a program disseminating false information to Neo, so that Neo would forgo his mission.

While I agree the end was confusing, I don't believe a lie was involved. It appeared to my that Neo was having a Skywalker Moment. He heard the truth but didn't want to believe it.

I had a problem with the true nature of the Oracle. It seemed as if noone knew she was a program until Neo discovered it. However, there are three options in this movie: Be a program, be an enslaved human, or be a freed human. The heroes should know that the Oracle isn't a freed human because she doen't interact with them outside the Matrix. So, that just leaves the two choices of being a program or enslaved human. Either choice is bad, because in the Matrix both are potential threats.

Christopher Q wrote:

: I had a problem with the true nature of the Oracle. It seemed as if noone

: knew she was a program until Neo discovered it.

I remember discussing the nature of the Oracle with a friend of mine shortly after the first film came out, and he figured she had to be a program, so his first response to the new film was "Aha! I knew it!"

: The heroes should know that the Oracle isn't a freed human because she

: doen't interact with them outside the Matrix.

Well, not that we SEE, at any rate. But, based on the first film alone, I had a hard time imagining her as a FREED human because it would have meant she would have to go in and out of the Matrix on a regular basis, just to eat and drink and keep her muscles busy. And all those entrances and exits and trips to and from her apartment were bound to get risky.

: So, that just leaves the two choices of being a program or enslaved human.

: Either choice is bad, because in the Matrix both are potential threats.

Yep. And I never thought it was all that likely that she would be an ENSLAVED human, since the Agents can always overpower and possess those characters. Then again, the Agents should probably be capable of possessing all those spoon-bending kids, too -- unless they, too, are making visits to the Matrix from outside. Hmmm.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

SPOILER

Peter T Chattaway wrote regarding the Oracle

And I never thought it was all that likely that she would be an ENSLAVED human, since the Agents can always overpower and possess those characters.

My point is that the heroes trusted her even if she might be a program.

Why would they trust a program or enslaved human?

PREDICTION (or, My turn as Oracle)

Based on what I now understand of the true nature of the Oracle, combined with my attempt to understand the ending, I predict that Matrix III will reveal the following:

Neo will discover that humans, not machines, made the first Matrix. Humans made AI to manage & troubleshoot the Matrix (the Oracle was a Help program). The first Matrix was a paradise as told by Agent Smith in the first movie. It also united humanity as described by Morpheus (but he thought the unity happened before the Matrix). However, humans died (as told by Smith) because they couldn't accept the paradise. A Master Control Program troubleshooted the problem & realized that humans need conflict. Thus, the MCP changed the Matrix & allowed some humans to be freed in Zion. Humans scorched the sky & began to fight back AFTER the first Matrix. Humans and the average program don't know that the MCP wants conflict to continue because it thinks that's what humans need.

Christopher Q wrote:

: PREDICTION (or, My turn as Oracle)

: Based on what I now understand of the true nature of the Oracle,

: combined with my attempt to understand the ending, I predict that Matrix

: III will reveal the following:

: Neo will discover that humans, not machines, made the first Matrix.

: Humans made AI to manage & troubleshoot the Matrix (the Oracle was a

: Help program). The first Matrix was a paradise as told by Agent Smith in

: the first movie. It also united humanity as described by Morpheus (but he

: thought the unity happened before the Matrix). However, humans died

: (as told by Smith) because they couldn't accept the paradise. A Master

: Control Program troubleshooted the problem & realized that humans

: need conflict. Thus, the MCP changed the Matrix & allowed some humans

: to be freed in Zion. Humans scorched the sky & began to fight back AFTER

: the first Matrix. Humans and the average program don't know that the

: MCP wants conflict to continue because it thinks that's what humans need.

Brilliant. Love it. Have no idea if the film will go that route, but still.

Ah, "the MCP". Brings back fond memories of Tron, it does. smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

except why would humans make the first Matrix - was it to give themselves a better world? Or is the Matrix trilogy, supposedly groundbreaking sci-fi going to go down the giant computer game route, and end up like an overblownversion of the Red Dwarf episode with Timothy Spall?

Matt

One point of my earlier prediction was that Reloaded seemed to make an effort at being weirder than the first movie. It was as if the writers were saying 'If you understood the first, we'll throw THIS twist at ya.' So, I project that Matrix III will be the weirdest.

Also, keep in mind that a program in Reloaded said that an important question was 'Why?'. Add to that the fact that Smith seemed to be looking for a new purpose. So, my answer to 'Why' is that humans need conflict and machines need purpose. And the writers need to be weird. Ergo, vis-a-vis, MIII will reveal the MCP who will answer Why and explain the purpose.

We'll learn that Neo is a clone of the original designer of the first paradise Matrix. That's why he's the One who can see the true Matrix. That's why he was expected at the end & why he looked like the earlier Neos. In MIII, the MCP will want Neo to repeat the cycle to give humans conflict and machines a purpose.

I just rented Reloaded tonight, in anticipation of tomorrow's press screenings for Revolutions. It was nice to be reminded of some of the details I had forgotten, but the film was more or less exactly what I remembered it to be. Of course, there's no point in adding to the speculation in this thread when the conclusion of this trilogy is upon us, but what I'm wondering right now is if the Will Ferrell fans on this list have seen this DVD, since it includes the MTV parody in which Ferrell plays a slightly manic version of the Architect ("Ergo! Vis-a-vis! Concordantly!").