Given that there are quite a number of Vancouverites (and Seattlites) on the board, I'm starting this thread to keep track of the non-mainstream film events happening in the Lower Mainland - mainly Cinematheque retrospectives, but it can also cover a broad swath of the film scene, including local indie work. I've been making the Cinematheque much more of a priority this year, and have been richly rewarded (recent highlights in the last month alone include the restorations of M, OTHELLO, and the Scorsese-curated Polish Cinema series).

Speaking of the current Polish series, I saw Wojciech Has' THE SARAGOSSA MANUSCRIPT this afternoon and was completely bowled over by it. It's instantly become the highlight of the cinematic year for me, and if anyone is interested, it's showing once more at the Cinematheque tomorrow night.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone from the A&F community planning on attending VIFF this Sept/Oct?

I've entered my short film into the festival.  If it's accepted I'll be there.   popcornsmiley.gif

I'll be attending as much as I can, work and life permitting. Over the last few years I usually haven't been able to do more than 5 screenings, but I'm hoping to increase that this year. Anything in particular that you're eyeing, Joel?

I just had a look at VIFF's website.  Their list of films is already up, so I'm guessing that this is one of those film festivals that doesn't send out an E-mail if a film didn't find it's way into the programming.   Rats.

The programming is announced in stages, and as far as I can tell, the shorts categories haven't been revealed yet. But yeah, even though the rejection notification usually comes in the first week of September, if I haven't heard anything by now I assume it's not in (I submitted a short this year too).

My film has been accepted into several film festivals and it's already been picked up by the Canadian Film Distribution Centre for distribution, and I'm about to sign a contract with a film representative stateside.  So I'm not terribly worried about it not being accepted.  Getting into festivals is often tough and doesn't necessarily depend on the quality of the film as much as what would fit into the festivals programming desires.

Still.  It would have been nice to make my way over to Vancouver for a few days.

Have you ever looked into the Canadian Film Distributuion Centre Nathan?

Sure.

VIFF hasn't announced all their films yet, surely? Their first press conference usually isn't until after Labour Day, and they usually don't have a complete schedule ready until a week or two after *that*.

They did, however, send out a press release a few days ago listing some of the award-winning films that will be playing at this year's festival.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I'll be attending as much as I can, work and life permitting. Over the last few years I usually haven't been able to do more than 5 screenings, but I'm hoping to increase that this year. Anything in particular that you're eyeing, Joel?

The list of Cannes winners here is intriguing to me, including Foxcatcher, Winter Sleep, Mr. Turner, Whiplash, and Two Days, One Night. I'm also hoping to gain more experience/exposure to international films, taking a risk and expanding my horizons with some filmmakers I've never heard of. With a full-time job and two kids under age 6, my goal is 5 screenings as well.

VIFF hasn't announced all their films yet, surely? Their first press conference usually isn't until after Labour Day, and they usually don't have a complete schedule ready until a week or two after *that*.

They did, however, send out a press release a few days ago listing some of the award-winning films that will be playing at this year's festival.

All I know is that tickets go on sale Monday, Aug 18.

No, tickets go on sale September 4. (I just checked.) They're only selling passes and "ticket packages" (basically discounted vouchers you can exchange for actual tickets) on August 18.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone interested in catching A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night at the VanCity Theatre next month? I've got a pass good for me plus one.

• 2 months later...

Lots of good stuff happening at the moment. The Cinematheque is running their "Painting With Film" series which includes a number of A&F faves - HIROSHIMA, MARIENBAD, WINGS OF DESIRE. They'll also be showing WAVELENGTH and BLOW UP together next week.

Most importantly ( and I can't believe how low this is flying under the radar): Kidlat Tahimik will be in town to screen two films: PERFUMED NIGHTMARE (1977) and BALIKBAYAN #1: AKA MEMORIES OF OVERDEVELOPMENT REDUX III (2015). And these screenings are FREE.

And to toot my horn a bit - I'll be showing my newest short at Cinema Spectacular next Thursday at the VanCity.

Edited by Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas said:  And to toot my horn a bit - I'll be showing my newest short at Cinema Spectacular next Thursday at the VanCity

Congratulations.  If your film ever makes it Manitoba way then let me know.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Eadweard will be screening in VIFF this fall. I know director Kyle Rideout from theatre - he acted in a few Pacific Theatre shows, really fine guy, as well as plenty at Bard On The Beach, etc. His short film Hop The Twig was terrific. Kyle was involved in the Electric Company's landmark show Studies In Motion, which also dealt with Eadweard Muybridge, so I'm sure there are connections between the two projects.

Any other VIFF picks yet?

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

• 5 months later...