Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Andrew Bird - Things Are Really Great Here, Sort Of...

Timothy Monger at AllMusic:

Recorded with a single mike running into a tape machine in Bird's Los Angeles living room, the ten songs were knocked out in three days' time, apparently after the album's press release and album cover had already been made public. 

I wasn't wild for this at first, but now am eager to hear it: Anything recorded live to one mic, with a band that includes Tift Merrit and some old Bowl of Fire members, is bound to have a certain warm, ramshackle charm.

I hadn't realized that Eric Heywood of recent Over the Rhine shows was part of Bird's band.

I like this album. I suspect it's just a detour in Bird's career, but it's a pleasant one, and I like both the simplicity of the musical arrangements and the strangeness of Brett and Rennie Sparks' songs. It's a weird folk album. Nothing wrong with that. 

I've arrived at about the same place Andy is, after my first listen. I like Andrew Bird's voice, and I like hearing Tift on harmonies. The warm, low-key vibe is appealing. Nothing about the record blows me away, at least not at first, but it seems like something that will reveal further charms over time.