Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Who is your Favourite Film Jesus

Who is your favourite film Jesus?   68 votes

1. 1. Who is your favourite film Jesus?

• M. Norman (The Life and Passion of Jesus Christ, 1905)
    • Robert Henderson-Bland (From the Manger to the Cross, 1912)
    • Howard Gaye (Intolerance, 1916)
    • H. B. Warner (The King of Kings, 1927)
    • Robert Le Vignan (Golgotha, 1935)
    • Robert Wilson (I Beheld His Glory, 1952; Day of Triumph, 1954)
    • Jeffrey Hunter (King of Kings, 1961)
    • Enrique Irazoqui (Il Vangelo Secondo di Matteo, 1964)
    • Max Von Sydow (The Greatest Story Ever Told, 1965)
    • Woody Strode (Black Jesus, 1968)
    • Colin Blakeny (Son of Man, 1969)
    • Donald Sutherland (Johnny Got His Gun, 1971)
    • Victor Garber (Godspell, 1973)
    • Robert Elfstrom (The Gospel Road, 1973)
    • Ted Neely (Jesus Christ, Superstar, 1973)
    • Pier Maria Rossi (Il Messia, 1975)
    • Zalman King (The Passover Plot, 1976)
    • Robert Powell (Jesus of Nazareth, 1977)
    • Brian Deacon (Jesus, 1979)
    • Chris Sarandon (The Day Christ Died, 1980)
    • John Rubinstein (In Search of Historic Jesus, 1980)
    • John Hurt (History of the World, Part I, 1981)
    • Malachi Jara Kohan (Hail, Mary, 1985)
    • Willem Dafoe (The Last Temptation of Christ, 1988)
    • Jurgen Prochnow (The Seventh Sign, 1988)
    • Lothaire Bluteau / Daniel Coloumbe (Jesus of Montreal, 1989)
    • Mark Deakins (Lamb of God, 1993)
    • Bruce Marchiano (Visual Bible: Matthew (1996) & Acts)
    • Jeremy Sisto (Jesus, 1999)
    • Plasticine / Ralph Fiennes (The Miracle Maker, 1999)
    • Christian Bale (Mary the Mother of Jesus, 1999)
    • Martin Donovan (Book of Life, 1999)
    • John Kay Steel (The Revolutionary, 1999)
    • Stephen Billington (Inquisition, 2002)
    • Henry Ian Cusick (The Gospel of John, 2003)
    • Jim Cavaziel (The Passion of the Christ, 2004)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

60 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Well the discussion started on the Gospel of John thread as to who was everyone's favourite Jesus, and in Chattaway's and Alan's absence I thought I had better step into the breach. So here's the list.

A few notes.

1 - Its who is your favourtie Jesus, so its not about the film itself but how the actor portrays Jesus

2 - I have therefore missed off a number of films such as The Robe which don't really feature Jesus in any depth, perhpa just a distance shot or a voice over

3 - Before anyone says it, yes that is why Life of Brian isn't on the list

4 - I've tried to be as comprehensive as I can, but I may have missed a few. Feel free to list them (bearing in mind 2 & 3 above). I'd be interested to know of any I've missed, and if people have seen them, even if its not a contender for Best Screen Jesus.

Matt

PS I also came across a film called "Messiah in the Passover" which sounded both interesting and terrible. Interesting cos it appears to be trying to put Jesus in a vbery Jewish context, terrible cos it stars Nick Manusco, who's got some terrible Christian films to his name, but doesn't even have this listed on IMDB.

Posted · Report post

Another interesting thread might be "What is your Favourite Film, Jesus?" I wonder if He'd post a reply? Rumour is, He's a lurker on our list...

Posted · Report post

Obviously, Pleasantville.

(ducks)

Posted · Report post

Pants,

Realised last night that I'd missed one. Glen Carter in Jesus Christ Superstar 2000. But obvioulsy I left that out on purpose cos its more of a filmed play on a stage than a film (even more so than "Son of Man" which I put in dry.gif )

Fortunately I think its unlikely that many people will lwant to vote for Glen , unless they think that Jesus really was a pouting saviour. huh.gif

I've not actually voted yet, but may have to back Cavaziel to prevent Powell from winning. Its between him, Cusick or Blakeny (Son of Man) and maybe Pier what'shisface from Il Messia

And wow, someone voted for Jeffrey Hunter? I hav a soft spot for the film, but didn't expect anyone to vote for it.

Matt

Posted · Report post

What about another thread on people who've played God?

Posted · Report post

I vote for Don Knotts!

Posted · Report post

You missed one more. That pool maintenance guy in _Saved!_. wink.gif

Nick

Posted · Report post

I vote for Don Knotts!

I second that emotion...

Posted · Report post

In their real life, or strictly in the movies? Would all directors count?

Posted · Report post

A few notes.

1 - Its who is your favourtie Jesus, so its not about the film itself but how the actor portrays Jesus

I realize you are asking about the portrayal of Jesus and not about the film but isn't the actors portrayal dependent on direction and script? I guess I don't see them to necessarily be mutually exclusive.

Posted · Report post

Well I did think about adding to the end of that original statement words to the effect of "as also determined by the director and the script", but I thought people would probably take it that way anyway. Sorry if I was ambiguous!

Matt

Posted · Report post

In their real life, or strictly in the movies? Would all directors count?

Hee!

Yay! A poll in which my name would be a possible response!

Posted · Report post

Hey,

Baptist Jon, SDG, crimsononline and Ron,

Get your own thread! mad.gif

wink.gif

Matt

Posted · Report post

Wow someone voted for Victor Garber as well. Its interesting that people vote for Jesuses I'd have never thought would be in with a shot. Maybe I am denying Glen his opportunity to be recognised?

user posted image

Matt

PS - On the DVd for this version of Jesus Christ Superstar the director / producer of the sage show said the classic / unintentionally hilarious line, "The great thing about Glen is that he looks like Jesus" unsure.gif

Posted · Report post

user posted image

Matt

PS - On the DVd for this version of Jesus Christ Superstar the director / producer of the sage show said the classic / unintentionally hilarious line, "The great thing about Glen is that he looks like Jesus"  unsure.gif

I was thinking he looks more like Robert Downey Jr. than Jesus.

Posted · Report post

Colin Blakeny, Son of Man. The Beefy Jesus.

"It is me it is me it is me it is me" etc.

Posted · Report post

Y'know, I don't think I ever could have predicted that I would vote this way, but as I went down the list of options, I found myself gravitating towards Max von Sydow. I think Pasolini's film is probably the best FILM based on the gospels to date, but I am not particularly drawn to the performance by that particular ACTOR. And as overly pious and plodding as George Stevens's film might be, and as much as I might not like the hair and make-up job given to this particular Jesus, I do think Max von Sydow does a masterful job of portraying a Jesus who is in touch with his emotions, fairly rugged, somewhat otherworldly, full of authority, and on and on and on. He doesn't go overboard with his mystical serenity the way Robert Powell does, and he doesn't seem way out of his depth the way Jeffrey Hunter does, etc. James Caviezel was another interesting possibility, but we don't really see him do anything but suffer, suffer, suffer; the glimpses of him BEFORE his arrest don't give us much to go by.

Posted · Report post

Max Von Sydow, even though it's not the best movie. I have a soft spot for King of Kings too, as one of those classic fifties epics it works very well.

Posted · Report post

rathmadder wrote:

: I have a soft spot for King of Kings too, as one of those classic fifties epics it

: works very well.

Except it was made in the '60s. smile.gif

Which, indeed, is one of the reasons why it didn't do all that well at the box office -- it was a bit too late to cash in on the Bible-movie trend at its peak.

Alan Thomas wrote:

: If you're going to go for von Sydow, why not Powell?

I thought I explained that above: "I do think Max von Sydow does a masterful job of portraying a Jesus who is in touch with his emotions, fairly rugged, somewhat otherworldly, full of authority, and on and on and on. He doesn't go overboard with his mystical serenity the way Robert Powell does..."

His "Thank you!" scene alone moves him a notch above Powell, in my books.

Posted · Report post

I just saw The Miracle Maker yesterday -- it was really terrific. Too short, perhaps. Fienes was terrific, but because it's animated, it would have been hard for me to vote for it over a full performance.

The Miracle Maker is with the possible exception of The Passion of the Christ (which I am still processing, and still need to see again to fully process) hands-down the best Jesus movie I've seen. It's powerful and moving, orthodox and accessible. I voted for Ralph Fiennes' performance in it mostly because I've not even seen another that's close to capturing the many sides of Jesus.

I've seen King of Kings (Hunter), The Greatest Story Ever Told, Last Temptation, Jesus of Nazareth, both Jesus films (Deacon and Sisto), The Visual Bible and Mary, Mother of Jesus. I'd rank the Jesuses I've seen as follows:

1. Fiennes

2. Marchiano

3. Sisto

4. Powell

5. Deacon

6. Bale

7. Von Sydow

8. Hunter

9. Dafoe

Posted · Report post

: Y'know, I don't think I ever could have predicted that I would vote this way, but

: as I went down the list of options, I found myself gravitating towards Max von Sydow.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

unsure.gif

Really? I've been thinking for a while I need to revisit it becuase when I was putting some clips together a few months ago I realised how good some of the compositions and camera work were, so perhpas this is time, and I guess given the criteria I put down, if you can strip all the directatorial things away then perhaps you're on to something, although for me I still find him a bit too away with the fairies.

Actually I've decided to vote for Cavaziel. I know that aside from the beatings we see little of him, but then those flashback sections really do make the film for me, and I remember writing in my review that:

The Passion of the Christ is a Jesus film which manages to give Jesus Gravitas without detracting from his humanity. In fact of all of the films that I

Posted · Report post

Ages ago Alan wrote

After seeing several portrayals of Jesus at Flickerings, I am wondering whether it is possible (or appropriate) to have a favorite. I guess I'm more sympathetic to (if not in agreement with) Josh Hurst's point of view.

I mean, if I disagree with The Last Temptation becuase that Just Isn't Jesus, certainly NONE of these others presents an adequate view of Him either? LT is overtly hostile to its subject matter, and while that is an important distinction, I don't want to lose the attention that should be paid to deeper and more subtle spiritual issues relating to representing The Master on screen...

and somehow I missed it.

I think this is part if the reason that I've struggled to vote on a poll that I started. I think when you first watch a Jesus film then there is a danger that that face becomes Jesus for you. So for me for ages it was Robert POwell. However, as you watch more of these films, gradually the one dominant face is replaced by a host of actors which actually creates a space which the real Jesus can slot into. Not defined by them, but so much more richly rounded by the 2D image that has been presented. So its no longer (as it was in the earlier days for me) a quest to find an ideal fim Jesus, but actually about looking at the real Jesus from different (camera) angles and seeing something different about him from each new position, or angle that I'd not noticed before. Sometimes it can be huge (e.g Last Temptation for me), and sometimes it might be fairly minor, (like the way he tells a specific parable), but taken from different perspectives and lights, and with the gospels in hand a new fresher bolder Jesus emerges.

Matt

Posted · Report post

I am in the Gospel According to... camp. Though I really don't think Pasolini is offering us a Jesus that is remotely close to the Historical Jesus in attitude or appearance, this Jesus is one that really embodies the presence of His canonical words and actions in the contemporary Church. There is what we usually call an "otherworldiness" to the Jesus in this film, and it is easy to mistake this Jesus as such. But what we really get is a sense that here is a man who is addressing the world as if he were "wholly other." He addresses first century Palestine the same way that He addresses us today.

Posted · Report post

Is there one you think does come close to the Historical Jesus? Or do you mean the Jesus as portrayed in the Gospels?