Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

According to a Slashfilm podcast some people have been able to see the film early and have given good reviews of it, saying it is different and even somewhat divisive for Star Wars fans. 

I'm excited again

NBooth   
1 hour ago, Justin Hanvey said:

Well it IS the villain saying it, Snoke

Talk about destiny tends to be a very villain thing in Star Wars, anyway. Just as a rule--I think of Vader or Palpatine saying it more than, say, Obi-Wan.

I'm not over the moon about the trailer. The Luke stuff is, at least, moderately interesting, but the rest of it is pretty meh. The porg made me want to throw something at my screen.

36 minutes ago, NBooth said:

Talk about destiny tends to be a very villain thing in Star Wars, anyway. Just as a rule--I think of Vader or Palpatine saying it more than, say, Obi-Wan.

I'm not over the moon about the trailer. The Luke stuff is, at least, moderately interesting, but the rest of it is pretty meh. The porg made me want to throw something at my screen.

Well, just as The Force Awakens rehashed much of A New Hope, this trailer seems to rehash much of The Empire Strikes Back. Can't say I'm too surprised, nor is my interest all that piqued.

Edited by John Drew

So...one trilogy in which the main character becomes a Jedi, another one in which the main character becomes a Sith, and a third trilogy where two characters meet in the middle? Well...okay, I guess. 

NBooth   
27 minutes ago, Scholar's Parrot said:

So...one trilogy in which the main character becomes a Jedi, another one in which the main character becomes a Sith, and a third trilogy where two characters meet in the middle? Well...okay, I guess. 

When you put it that way, it sounds Hegelian. 

There is something truly special about the dialog in the trailer.  It goes the way you think, if you think in cliche's, even if Luke says differently.

NBooth wrote:
: Talk about destiny tends to be a very villain thing in Star Wars, anyway. Just as a rule--I think of Vader or Palpatine saying it more than, say, Obi-Wan.

And when Obi-Wan *does* talk about destiny, he's basically being the villain. (Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again. Luke: I can't kill my own father. Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.) It is only by *resisting* Obi-Wan's destiny talk that Luke ultimately becomes the hero.

Anders   

I'm pretty pumped about this one, at least more so than anyone else here seems to be. And certainly more intrigued and invested than in most any other blockbuster films of this kind.

I think that this trailer is very cleverly edited in the way the dialogue seems to give the impression of a back and forth between particular characters (Rey and Luke; Rey and Kylo Ren; Kylo Ren and Snoke, etc.). I think its probably very misleading, in order to hide some kind of surprise.

Oh don't get me wrong--I'm definitely heading to see this on opening night in 3D Imax with my two boys.  But you gotta admit, some of that trailer dialogue is pretty clunky.