Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Lana Del Ray - Ultraviolence

This is one dark, sad, beautiful record. I never imagined I'd be a Lana Del Ray fan, except for the odd guilty-pleasure pop hit. But this album has a vast, lush, Blue Velvet vibe, and some knockout tracks that I'll include on my 2014 favorites mix. It plays like a soundtrack for the "other women" of Mad Men. The song "Old Money" actually takes us into Marianne Faithfull territory. I may have to work backward and listen to Lana's earlier records with a more open mind.

Edited by Overstreet

I'm digging Ultraviolence a lot, too. "Cruel World," "Shades of Cool," and "West Coast" are dynamite.

Regarding Del Rey's earlier releases, she can be downright awful ("Carmen" and "Lolita" being the worst of the worst), but I maintain that there's a pretty solid 13-track playlist to be made out of Born to Die and Paradise (the standout tracks being "Video Games," "Blue Jeans," and "Off to the Races").

Edited by Ryan H.

Anders   

I'm digging Ultraviolence a lot, too. "Cruel World," "Shades of Cool," and "West Coast" are dynamite.

Regarding Del Rey's earlier releases, she can be downright awful ("Carmen" and "Lolita" being the worst of the worst), but I maintain that there's a pretty solid 13-track playlist to be made out of Born to Die and Paradise (the standout tracks being "Video Games," "Blue Jeans," and "Off to the Races").

I'm pretty much right on the money with you Ryan. Only thought there were a handful of great tracks on the first two albums, but am really liking ULTRAVIOLENCE.

Persona   

I was surprised to see a thread on LDR in this forum. But that's only because I only knew LDR from the remix on the radio, and the acoustic covers of that remix I've been researching lately, as I want to play this song in my acoustic set as well.

As it turns out (and as this article feverishly delves into), LDR sounds nothing like the "Summertime Sadness" pop radio song that's currently in heavy rotation. While the article I linked to sees that as a bad thing ("Oh no! Listeners are going to search for LDR and find out she doesn't sound like "Summertime Sadness" and be utterly disappointed!!"), it's actually a great thing. I just listened to the first part of this recording on Youtube, and so far it has just throttled me. Wow, what a steamy voice, and what a strange and disoriented backing band (at times).

Thanks for sharing, Jeffrey. :) There are times when a Lynch fix is just what the doctor ordered.