I was surprised to find that "Sons of Anarchy" did not have a thread in this forum. Okay, a small part of me was surprised. It wasn't a total shock but having watched the first couple seasons over that past few months it was a tad bit surprising that this wasn't being discussed.

Maybe you have to have a fascination for marginal culture or outlaw culture or be a biker of some sort (motorized bikes). I am definitely a motorcycle enthusiast. I grew up in chopper, bobber motorcycle backyard workshop world. But this show goes beyond motorcycle and outlaw culture. 

The first two seasons have an incredibly interesting struggle with the existence and/or reality of God. Something solid to believe in beyond the commitment of family, especially when it begins to fail us or we do not have the power to hold it together on our own. It isn't the common, "Oh, God, help me because I have no place else to turn" sort of belief. Family holds a strong bond and provides a reason for all the "bad/evil" things that need to be done in order to protect that family. However, when the characters become introspective the inner dialogue tends to shift to a large moral structure or code of ethics. Many of the characters seem to seek God's approval or forgiveness. At the very least they begins to question there actions in the light of a God hey can seek mercy and grace from. Maybe it is all in an effort to make sense of their world. 

Any thoughts from those who have watched?

[edit] P.S. Overall the lifestyle portrayal in this series is a little too clean for me.

Edited by Thom

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

• 3 months later...

Well, this series has fallen into the television salvage yard probably trying to avoid a "jump the shark" moment. It is the same story line--SOA needs to protect their turf>>they create the "we're smarter than everybody" master plan>>something goes wrong and they didn't plan for it>>innocent person(s) involved>>SOA feels the need to keep that person from harm while resolving their conflicts. All this while a couple of characters are keeping a meta-secret that would change everything if everyone knew. This secret usually lasts the entire season until the last few episodes. No wonder this show is in its final season.

It was really hard to invest in these characters after a while, unless it was 2 a.m. and I couldn't sleep. Maybe after the struggle of an idea of ultimate right and wrong, or the internal torture of the possibility of God in light of how life is lived, was no longer a plot device it just kind of lost its human quality. Maybe that is it the point, complete dissolution of a moral anchor, especially when all hope for something better has been lost. I guess I missed the point.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]