Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Dumbo

Links to our Disney-live-action-films-based-on-animated-films threads on Enchanted (2007), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), Alice through the Looking Glass (2016), Pete's Dragon (2016), Beauty and the Beast (2017), Aladdin (in development), The Chronicles of Prydain (in development), Cruella (in development), Enchanted 2 (in development), The Jungle Book 2 (in development), Genies (in development), The Lion King (in development), The Little Mermaid (in development), Maleficent 2 (in development), Mulan (in development), Night on Bald Mountain (in development), Peter Pan (in development), Pinocchio (in development), Prince Charming (in development), Snow White (in development), The Sword in the Stone (in development), Tink (in development) and Winnie the Pooh (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

- - -

Live-Action 'Dumbo' in the Works From 'Transformers' Writer (Exclusive)
Disney is developing a live-action take on its 1941 animated classic, Dumbo, and has Transformers franchise writer Ehren Kruger penning the script.
Justin Springer, who worked on Tron: Legacy as well as Oblivion, is producing as will Kruger.
At 64 minutes Dumbo is one of Disney’s shortest features but remains one of its most emotionally satisfying ones as it tells of a baby circus elephant who is made fun for his large ears. When his mother steps in to protect him and is locked up for it, he ends up on the road with a mouse as his companion. The mouse instills into Dumbo the idea that with the help of a magic feather, he can fly.
The movie produced several classic songs, notably "When I See an Elephant Fly"; "Baby Mine," which was nominated for a best song Oscar; and "Pink Elephants on Parade" were among the other numbers that were set to animated sequences.
The new take involves the adaptation of original movie adding a unique family story that parallels Dumbo's story. Also, the studio believes that the current state of CG technology, live-action movies featuring a soaring pachyderm (or any animal for that matter) are a viability. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, July 8

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Joshua Wilson comment on my Facebook page: "I'd rather see the makers of Sharknado make a cartoon version of Citizen Kane."

Well, I guess I'll have seen 'bout everything when I see a drunk CGI elephant transformer dinosaur fly.

Edited by Evan C

Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

There's the 1994 Jungle Book.

101 Dalmations.

And... this is cheating... but then-Disney-owned Miramax distributed Benigni's Pinnochio.

Why? (Besides the obvious money reason?)

Original stories don't draw the tickets they used to.  So they go after brands.  They go after established entities and make them new.

Originality is where TV is at, unless you have the clout to demand any budget you'd like (Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg).  

You know, Steven Greydanus posted to me this summer that he was the critic that ruined Dumbo's 100% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes...so I think it is only just that he be forced to watch this remake a coupe dozen times as penance.

You know, Steven Greydanus posted to me this summer that he was the critic that ruined Dumbo's 100% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes...so I think it is only just that he be forced to watch this remake a coupe dozen times as penance.

Perhaps he'll ruin the remakes 0% fresh rating.

Nick Alexander wrote:
: Originality is where TV is at, unless you have the clout to demand any budget you'd like (Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg).

And even Spielberg complained that he found it hard to get financing for Lincoln (which turned out to be something of a moneymaker)...

Oh, I'm sharpening my knives (loading my elephant gun?) already. 

Meanwhile, I've been having a little fun on Facebook and Twitter with the idea of a live-action Dumbo from the screenwriter of Transformers. I can only assume we'll be getting twists like these:

• "Pink Elephants on Parade" is now a 45-minute CGI set piece.
  • Timothy Q. Mouse now spouts rapid-fire ebonics and crude jokes. Knocked into vat of liquor, he says: "This is waterboarding!"
  • Mister Stork's delayed arrival with Dumbo is explained in urban aerial chase sequence with drones trying to shoot him down. 
  • Dumbo's giant ears revealed to have something to do with a mysterious substance called "Dumbonium." 
  • Casey Junior forced into hiding when the CIA comes after him. Post-credits tease: "I think I just found Casey Junior!"

Oh, I'm sharpening my knives (loading my elephant gun?) already. 

Meanwhile, I've been having a little fun on Facebook and Twitter with the idea of a live-action Dumbo from the screenwriter of Transformers. I can only assume we'll be getting twists like these:

• "Pink Elephants on Parade" is now a 45-minute CGI set piece.
  • Timothy Q. Mouse now spouts rapid-fire ebonics and crude jokes. Knocked into vat of liquor, he says: "This is waterboarding!"
  • Mister Stork's delayed arrival with Dumbo is explained in urban aerial chase sequence with drones trying to shoot him down. 
  • Dumbo's giant ears revealed to have something to do with a mysterious substance called "Dumbonium." 
  • Casey Junior forced into hiding when the CIA comes after him. Post-credits tease: "I think I just found Casey Junior!"

Good one. I can't wait to see that remake. Go Dumbo (albeit, I liked, if not loved, the original 1940s classic)!

PETA would like Disney to tweak the ending.

PETA is asking producers to tweak the endearing film’s ending to allow the baby elephant to retire from entertainment altogether. Dumbo would be in the good company of Dory! The ending of the upcoming Finding Dory was changed after producers saw the documentary Blackfish and didn’t want the fish to end up in a marine abusement park like SeaWorld. They were quoted as saying that they “didn’t want to look back on this film in 50 years and have it be their Song of the South.”

My favorite part is the end, where they say, "Producers of the new version of Dumbo have already done the right thing by announcing that, just like in the masterful Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, they’re going to use computer-generated imagery," instead of using real flying elephants, I guess.

My favorite part is the end, where they say, "Producers of the new version of Dumbo have already done the right thing by announcing that, just like in the masterful Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, they’re going to use computer-generated imagery," instead of using real flying elephants, I guess.

I imagine real flying elephants are quite difficult to come by.

From the trailer, it looks like Michael Keaton will be the villain.

Also looks like there will be human protagonists.