Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Shannara

Jonathan Liebesman, who directed Wrath of the Titans and Battle Los Angeles, and whose new film is the TMNT reboot, is replacing Jon Favreau as director for this MTV series adaptation.

I read the first three books of this series when I was a kid, but even then found myself impatient with its obvious, shallow retread of Lord of the Rings ideas. And jokes about the book's Gandalf being called Allanon got old fast.

Edited by Overstreet

This is one of three long-running fantasy series that I either gave up on early or never even tried to get into (the other two: Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, with its bloated books in which our heroes kept trudging on their quest to somewhere but seemed unlikely to ever get there; I know a lot of people are devoted to these, but one or two, with the prospect of ten more, were enough for me. Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, which was made into a so-so TV show a few years ago, lasted one season. Turns out Goodkind is a proponent of Ayn Rand & Objectivism, which becomes a major element in the later books. Bored now.

The "Legend of the Seeker" show was fairly entertaining (though fans of the books didn't care for it as much, I seem to recall, and it was a bit heavy on BDSM), so maybe the Shannara show will be better than the books. More likely, though, they're trying to make a fast buck off the Game of Thrones audience, who are probably smarter than that. To be fair to MTV, they (or somebody) has turned Teen Wolf into a spooky, intense, good time.

I heartily enjoyed Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series until book six or so, and then I kept reading because I was too invested in a fifteen book series not to find out how it ends. But I never read another Shannara book after the first one - like Overstreet said, it was too much of a Tolkien clone to enjoy. I'm not a huge fan of Game of Thrones, and it's frustrating if there's going to be a sudden wave of copycats adapting that type of Fantasy when there are so many other interesting alternatives. Here's hoping that BBC's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell will prove the value of those alternatives.

The "Sword of Truth" books, on which the "Legend of the Seeker" TV show was based, are indeed BDSM writ large, with a tough-to-swallow philosophy and truly sadistic characters. The TV show mercifully stayed away from most of that stuff, but reading the books left a nasty stain in my brain that might never wash away.

The "Sword of Truth" books, on which the "Legend of the Seeker" TV show was based, are indeed BDSM writ large, with a tough-to-swallow philosophy and truly sadistic characters. The TV show mercifully stayed away from most of that stuff, but reading the books left a nasty stain in my brain that might never wash away.

I'm really thankful I never got into his books, but there wasn't much of a chance. When I worked at a bookstore, his rear jacket author photo scared me away:

terry-goodkind.jpg

LOL - oh. my. goodness.

What every writer wants to look like is Steven Segal.

It's happening. EW interviews Brooks about the MTV series scheduled for 2016. They're starting with book 2, Elfstones of Shannara (?). Comparisons with LoTR will resurface, as they are filming in New Zealand. But author Brooks insists it will not be TV-MA:

Don’t mention Game of Thrones to me. We were saying, “We don’t want to go that route.” That’s not what the Shannara books are. They’re a family-oriented fantasy and always have been. That’s been one of the strong selling points. Anyone from 10 years of age up that has the reading skills can read these books. We’ve always talked about it as a family drama that anyone can watch.

MTV Comic Con trailer:

Edited by BethR