Overstreet

U2 - Songs of Innocence

155 posts in this topic

If indeed there is actually a new U2 album called Sirens on the way, let's have a thread for it, rather than burden it with the mountains of posts related to the dubious Songs of Ascent project.

I meant to link back to the end of the other thread where this story had just been reported. But whatever. Both work.

The start of this thread has been a bumbling reflection of U2's own attempts to release a new album.  :)

Universal Music confirms that a new album will be released before the year's end.

There is also this rather dispiriting tidbit:

There was one last, frantic scramble earlier this year to get a big single, so they got Adele's writer-producer, Paul Epworth, into the studio.

Meanwhile: Bono to guest on upcoming Michael W. Smith Christmas album.

Universal Music confirms that a new album will be released before the year's end.

I don't think that's confirmation of anything. A more accurate statement might be that "Universal confirms that the current plan is to have an album out by the end of the year." There's still plenty of time for U2 to get cold feet, change the plan again, and call in Ryan Lewis or Max Martin or some such hitmaker to sweeten the music.

I'd be surprised if there was a full album released with the iPhone, but it's clear that something--new music, a new single, maybe a live performance--is happening in association with Apple's event next week on 9/9.

It'd be a sure-fire way to get millions of copies of their new album into the hands of people everywhere. Nearly perfect marketing strategy if you're an aging band struggling to maintain relevance and visibility. Apple sure has been making astoundingly comprehensive inroads with other artists as of late, and comparatively, this would be small beans.

It'd be a sure-fire way to get millions of copies of their new album into the hands of people everywhere. Nearly perfect marketing strategy if you're an aging band struggling to maintain relevance and visibility. Apple sure has been making astoundingly comprehensive inroads with other artists as of late, and comparatively, this would be small beans.

To put it a bit less charitably, perhaps: It's a great way to draw attention from the fact that there has maybe never been less interest in new U2 music. Or at least, that's my perception.

To put it a bit less charitably, perhaps: It's a great way to draw attention from the fact that there has maybe never been less interest in new U2 music. Or at least, that's my perception.

Not uncharitable at all. 21st-century culture has a particularly short memory span; five years is a relative eon of time to wait between albums. Any other band would have risked becoming utterly irrelevant if they waited that long. At this point in the game, even U2 no longer gets a pass.

Edited by Joel C

The Times is reporting that U2 will perform at tomorrow's big Apple event, and that the release of their new album will somehow be connected to the iPhone.

An Irish newspaper reports that the album won't actually be pre-loaded on the phone, but that you'll have the ability to stream it through the phone. We shall see!

Um.

Evidently, the new album is called Songs of Innocence; was just finished last week; and is releasing on iTunes... today?

Also, it's free.

More details.

You still haven't found what you're looking for?

EDIT: I promise, that comment had a context when I posted....

Edited by NBooth

Well, gotta hand it to them: I wasn't expecting this kind of generosity. Let's see what it sounds like.

True enough: I haven't heard the album yet either, but I really thought we were past the stage where U2 was able to surprise us. So this is something.

This is the album that should've been called Pop. It's just one big single after another after another after another. Very Dangermouse-y.

Bono sounds great. Lots and lots of shiny backup vocals shimmering around the edges, too.

Hey, if any of you successfully downloaded the PDF booklet, would you send it to me? Mine downloaded with a corruption and won't open.

And whoa: "Volcano" gives Adam a big bright spotlight.

Right!

My first impression: This is the kind of album U2 should be making right now. It's all about melody. It's actually-- dare I say it?-- fun. It scales back on some of The Edge's more wearisome guitar tics. The production is hip and modern without sounding desparate, and there's nothing here that embarrasses quite like "Stand Up Comedy" or "Get On Your Boots" did.

True enough: Bono sounds great.

Just the kind of rebirth these guys needed.

Okay, on the latter half of the album, the big rock sounds come out, although they're still packed into single-sized packages. 

You know, Larry and Adam are back in business on this record in ways they haven't been for ages.

Hey, the "Mysterious Ways" guitar is back in "This is Where You Can Reach Me"!

I am finding that the album's most appealing surprises come about midway through. "Cedarwood Road" has the nasty rock and roll sound I've long hoped to hear from them, and "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight" updates the eerie vibe of "Please."

I may cool on this album after spending more time with it, but I never thought I'd enjoy a new U2 album again nearly as much as I'm enjoying this right now.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't had a better first impression since Pop.  

The inclusions of "Volcano" and "Cedarwood Road" are what sold me. That'a band I didn't think I'd hear again.

Edited by Overstreet

As for our earlier speculation about whether U2 was trying to muffle the impact of potentially weak album sales, it's worth noting that free albums/"gifts" are not counted by the RIAA.