Overstreet

U2 - Songs of Innocence

Oh man, heads will explode over this. U2's World Aids Day concert in Times Square today is still happening, even though Bono is out of commission. "U2 minus one" will be performing with vocal duties handled by... Bruce Springsteen and Chris Martin!

http://www.u2.com/news/title/u2-minus-1-live-in-new-york-tonight

They did "Streets" and "Still Haven't Found" with Springsteen last night, "Beautiful Day" and "With or Without You" with Chris Martin.

Ha! Yesterday on Jeffrey's Facebook post about this I wrote: "For Chris Martin, dreams really do come true."  I just watched the video linked in that story, and Martin actually uttered those same words--"Dreams do come true"--on stage!  :)  I was looking forward to the Boss but "Streets" was underwhelming. "I Still Haven't Found" was pretty great though.

Lots of multiple dates in the same venue, but they're really only playing 6 US cities in 2015.  mecry.gif

U2 “iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE” Tour 2015 Tour Dates: 
05/14 – Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena
05/15 – Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena
05/18 – San Jose, CA @ SAP Center at San Jose
05/19 – San Jose, CA @ SAP Center at San Jose
05/22 – Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Center
05/23 – Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Center
05/26 – Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center
05/27 – Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center
05/30 – Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center
05/31 – Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center
06/12 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
06/13 – Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
06/24 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
06/25 – Chicago, IL @ United Center
07/06 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
07/07 – Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
07/10 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
07/11 – Boston, MA @ TD Garden
07/18 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
07/19 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
07/22 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
07/23 – New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
09/04 – Turin, IT @ Pala Alpitour
09/05 – Turin, IT @ Pala Alpitour
09/08 – Amsterdam, NL @ Ziggo Dome
09/09 – Amsterdam, NL @ Ziggo Dome
09/16 – Stockholm, SE @ The Globe
09/17 – Stockholm, SE @ The Globe
09/24 – Berlin, DE @ O2 World
09/25 – Berlin, DE @ O2 World
10/05 – Barcelona, ES @ Palau Sant Jordi
10/06 – Barcelona, ES @ Palau Sant Jordi
10/13 – Antwerp, BE @ Sportpaleis
10/14 – Antwerp, BE @ Sportpaleis
10/17 – Cologne, DE @ Lanxess Arena
10/18 – Cologne, DE @ Lanxess Arena
10/25 – London, UK @ O2 Arena
10/26 – London, UK @ O2 Arena
10/29 – London, UK @ O2 Arena
10/30 – London, UK @ O2 Arena
11/06 – Glasgow, UK @ SSE Hydro
11/07 – Glasgow, UK @ SSE Hydro
11/10 – Paris, FR @ Bercy
11/11 – Paris, FR @ Bercy

Edited by morgan1098

And I've got my GA (floor) tickets for the second-night show in Vancouver BC on May 15. Am I the last fan here still willing to travel in order to see these guys live?

I'm willing to travel from my house to downtown, depending on the price... :)

And I've got my GA (floor) tickets for the second-night show in Vancouver BC on May 15. Am I the last fan here still willing to travel in order to see these guys live?

If someone gave me a few hundred dollars for air fare, I'd certainly be willing to travel!  :) As it stands, the closest venues to me are Phoenix (793 miles), Chicago (911 miles), Los Angeles (1,084 miles) or San Jose (1,339 miles).  Although it pains me, I'm hoping for another US leg in 2016 with a stop in Denver. Between time off work, airfare and lodging, etc, I just couldn't justify it this time around.  :(

I am glad they are coming to Phoenix. Of course, they seem to always come to Phoenix. One of the few great bands that come here. I usually have to go to LA to see anyone if I do.

It's amazing to see how much this song progressed over the years.  This is from August, 2010...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qM_ShH9Co

Stephen Thomas Erlewine has written an insightful piece about how artists tried to overcome the plague of "too much music" in 2014-- getting into Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, and Thom Yorke, but focusing on U2. He applauds their marketing savvy, on some level, but ends with this:

Gripe about receiving an album you never wanted in your iTunes, chortle at Rolling Stone naming Songs Of Innocence the album of the year or even enjoy the record, but recognize that U2 acted in their own best interests by getting the money where they could, getting their album to as many people as they could, causing the commotion that they so fervently crave.

As it turns out, giving away a record for free wasn’t an extension of U2’s celebrated altruism, it was the most selfish thing they ever did…and for a band responsible for Rattle & Hum, that’s saying a lot.

As it turns out, giving away a record for free wasn’t an extension of U2’s celebrated altruism, it was the most selfish thing they ever did…and for a band responsible for Rattle & Hum, that’s saying a lot.

(Eye roll.)

Still interested to see if any prominent music reviewers are going to take on the music itself.

Stephen Thomas Erlewine has written an insightful piece about how artists tried to overcome the plague of "too much music" in 2014-- getting into Garth Brooks, Taylor Swift, and Thom Yorke, but focusing on U2. He applauds their marketing savvy, on some level, but ends with this:

Gripe about receiving an album you never wanted in your iTunes, chortle at Rolling Stone naming Songs Of Innocence the album of the year or even enjoy the record, but recognize that U2 acted in their own best interests by getting the money where they could, getting their album to as many people as they could, causing the commotion that they so fervently crave.

??? Like every other musician, U2 is just trying to figure out music marketing in the 21st century. It's not a matter of generosity vs. greed, or whatever. I think everyone understands (except Erlewine) that U2 is a business.

Even U2 fans joke about Bono's guitar playing-- or, sometimes, lack thereof-- but hearing that he may never be physically able to play guitar again is truly, sincerely sad.

He's had some blonde before:

u2liveaid-306-1404834570.jpg

e061ff79225a3a7793fa3587f611e94a.jpg

Edited by Overstreet

Heard the first four songs of the first concert broadcast live on the radio tonight: The Miracle, Out of Control, Vertigo, I Will Follow. Bono sounds like he's in top form.

The set list is stacking up here.