Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler

Skull Island

15 posts in this topic

That King Kong origin story we've all been waiting for could be on the way.

At the end of the Legendary panel, studio head Thomas Tull returned to the stage to thank the fans and show off one last thing. The surprise is the announcement of a new King Kong movie titled Skull Island. Thomas Tull announced that they had “been tinkering around with one thing” and showed us some footage for a project that may be a long way out.

The clip started showing a rain storm pouring down over big waves in the ocean. Audio narration included lines from the Heart of Darkness: “Going up that river was like traveling back to the beginning of the world, when the plants ran wild and the trees were kings.” Shots of an island, lush jungle, monkeys and creatures … “Being alone in the wilderness, it had looked within itself, and by heavens! I tell you, it had gone mad. We penetrated deeper and deeper into the heart of darkness.” We see a cave on the island shaped like a skull.

Skull Island is a fictional island that first appearing in the 1933 film King Kong and later appearing in its sequels and remakes.

The film based on the legendary island from King Kong will tell “the cinematic origins of another classic beast, King Kong.”

That's two trailers released this week featuring boneyards full of giant bones.

Yikes. I love King Kong and most of those actors, but let's just say Jackson's film is looking better and better right now.

Apparently the "Monarch" organization mentioned in this clip was featured in the 2014 Godzilla movie, the details of which I'd almost completely forgotten.

Same universe yeah. I think they're setting up a King Kong vs Godzilla movie. Dannnngggg.

Also very appreciative of adding in John C Reilly for comedic effect, something big budget disaster and monster movies have been sorely lacking these last few years

This has 80% at Rotten Tomatoes!?!!!?

I...did not expect that.

I found it...numbing. Not in a particularly good way. It's not a bad movie, I suppose, but it just all becomes about action special effects and there is no emotional weight. But I guess that's what people want in the movies. Sort of like Jurassic World only with even less plot, less emotion, less stakes. 

Brie Larson sure looks pretty, though.

Psh. I loved it. Best fun I've had at the movies in a long while. A true blockbuster giant monster movie. Felt like Jackson's King Kong but pared down, less heavy, more free to have a sense of humor. 

I thought it was fun. Samuel L. Jackson is hilarious throughout, even more so than John C. Reilly. There are a lot of movie stars in this! I enjoyed it a lot more than Jackson's version. The opening scenes in places like Shanghai and Bangkok just after the end of the Vietnam war were more fleshed out than I was expecting. I enjoyed those as much as anything that happened on Skull Island. The post-war military industrial complex vibe of this movie was interesting.

Y'all stayed for the post-credits tag, right?

Justin Hanvey wrote:
: Felt like Jackson's King Kong but pared down, less heavy, more free to have a sense of humor. 

I dunno. It definitely lacked the heavy serious capital-D Drama of Jackson's film -- all those scenes with the Great Depression, or Adrien Brody and Naomi Watts making eyes at each other, etc. -- but it seemed to me to lack the action-movie joy of Jackson's film (a scene in Jackson's film with multiple dinosaurs comes to mind, though it's been a dozen years since I saw it, so don't ask me for more details beyond that).

kenmorefield wrote:
: Brie Larson sure looks pretty, though.

Tell that to Kong! The Kong of this film shows far less interest in the movie's leading lady than any previous Kong ever, I think. (Okay, I'm referring to the actual King Kong movies. I haven't watched all the Kong vs Godzilla type movies.)

Larson's vocal fry, of course, felt a bit anachronistic to me, as did some of the dialogue ("Just saying!").

I missed the post-credits tag but read about it later. I knew going in that this was tied to Godzilla somehow. Actually, when John C. Reilly's character kept making cryptic references to "a bigger one" lurking on the island, I thought Godzilla might actually make a cameo in this movie!