Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

War for the Planet of the Apes

13 posts in this topic

Links to our threads on Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014).

Link to our thread on 'Bergman Regretted Skipping Planet of the Apes' (Apr 2004).

Matt Reeves has revealed that the villain who seemed to die in Dawn might actually still be alive, and might reappear in the third film. And apparently the possible survival of this villain was already suggested in a post-credits audio sting.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

‘War Of The Planet Of The Apes’ Recruits Gabriel Chavarria For Lead Role

EXCLUSIVE: Gabriel Chavarria, the young star of Universal’s upcoming Low Riders, is making his deal now to be one of two human leads in 20th Century Fox’s War Of The Planet Of The Apes, the latest installment of the franchise. Matt Reeves returns to direct, and the pic is shooting for an October start date in Vancouver.

Much like James Franco’s part in 2011’s Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, the role is one of two main humans in the cast. . . .

Deadline.com, August 24

Ugh.

Posted (edited)

As I said on Twitter:

Edited by Anders

3 minutes ago, Anders said:

As I said on Twitter:

Yep. And the endless "apes-are-just-like-people" thing is annoying, too ("for Family!"). The whole premise loses its punch if the apes are just humans with fur; it's imperative that they maintain some sense of uncanny Otherness. [And now I'm thinking of...Mark Fisher? Zizek?...and his point that King Kong as realized in claymation is more effective precisely because it doesn't try for photorealism. The ape costumes in the original movies are similarly effective, in part, precisely because we can tell they're "fake".]

I said this elsewhere, but apparently not here: One thing that bothers me about the teaser that was posted here in December is the way Woody Harrelson's character actually says that Earth runs the risk of becoming a "planet of apes". Like, the whole *point* behind the original film's title was that Charlton Heston was an *astronaut* who thought he had landed on the wrong planet; it wasn't until the end that we learned he had been on Earth the whole time. But there's no astronaut here (unless there's some pertinent story element that they haven't revealed yet). I don't mind that the *titles* keep using the words "planet of the apes" -- it's part of the whole franchise/branding thing. But would the *characters*, none of whom have ever been to space, be speaking in those terms? Maybe, maybe not, but it nags at me just a bit.