Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

My Brightest Diamond - This Is My Hand

You know, I don't remember her previous albums ever quite clicking for me-- my fault, I'm sure, and not hers-- but I'm giving this one a try and the first song, with the tight drumline beat, is just killer. I mean, whoa.

EDIT: And then, after another couple fine tracks, "Love Killer" comes along and is even more irrestistibly funky than the opener. This is shaping up to win me over in a big way.

Edited by Josh Hurst

Be sure to check out the EP that came out earlier this year. It's just as fresh, layered, and creative as this stuff.

Yeah, "Pressure" is an amazing opening track.

Darren H   

Bumping this thread because last week I spent nearly 20 hours in the car with my family, and during the trip we listened to This is My Hand for, I'd guess, the 117th, 118th, 119th, and 120th time since it was released. Joanna and i did the same thing when Bring Me the Workhorse came out in 2006, and we've enjoyed (but never quite obsessed over) everything Shara has put out since. This new album (and the I Had Grown Wild EP) are something else, though. She's the closest thing we have to Peter Gabriel, I think -- great songwriting with endlessly rewarding and innovative arrangements. "Resonance," in particular, sounds like something from Security or Side B of So.

In NPR's coverage of the new Joy Williams record, comparisons to Peter Gabriel kept coming up. I find those comparisons bizarr-o. Shara is much, much more Gabriel-esque. And why NPR's music team hyped This is My Hand so much last year and then completely avoided it in their seemingly endless year-in-review lists confounds me. 

Darren H   

I hadn't heard of Joy Williams until you mentioned her. Um, that album is not Peter Gabriel-like.

This stripped down re-arrangement of "Apparition," though, reminds me of the kind of thing Gabriel does with songs like "Here Comes the Flood."

Edited by Darren H