Sign in to follow this  
Josh Hurst

Upcoming Board Games We're Excited About

Seems like this might be a handy thread to have around-- especially with such much-anticipated games as King of New York on the horizon. In this video review, the Dice Tower gang declares the sequel to be even better than the original King of Tokyo!

This is a great thread, Josh!

(Isn't KoNY out now? Or maybe it's GenCon release was limited.)

I'm really excited for Dead of Winter. It's gotten a ton of buzz in the past few months. It's a semi-cooperative game where players try to survive a harsh winter in a zombie apocalypse. At this point, I couldn't care less about the zombie aspect, but the hidden traitor element and story hooks sound incredible.

Amazon.com has King of New York listed as October 15, Jason-- but I'm sure there are some more reliable and accurate sources of board game release dates out there?

Amazon.com has King of New York listed as October 15, Jason-- but I'm sure there are some more reliable and accurate sources of board game release dates out there?

I honestly don't have a consistently reliable source for release dates (though Dice Tower News seems to be pretty thorough with their release calendar). Amazon is sometimes tricky with release dates—a lot of games are released at conventions like GenCon or Essen, but sometimes it's in limited quantity. I think the limited v. wide film release thing is comparable. In the case of King of New York, it seems like it hits the streets in October...but some people already bought copies in August at GenCon. Hence my confusion! 

Looking forward to King of New York. Loved that review!

Another one for the list: Samurai Spirit, the new cooperative, samurai-themed card game from the fellow who made Ghost Stories. As best I can tell it is available in stores next month, and looks great.

Samurai Spirit is at the top of my list. Antoine Bauza is my favorite designer and this new one looks great, like a strange combination of Ghost Stories and Blackjack. Sign me up!

Dead of Winter has been on my wishlist for a long time but my game group has kind of broken up since the other couple we play games with has moved away. This game still looks great but I can't imagine it being very fun with just 2 players. The new mechanic that most excites me is the crossroads thing. Something another player does on their turn may trigger a crossroad card that your holding and now you have a decision to make as a group on how to respond to that. Be looking for similar mechanics to start appearing in games all over the place soon.

Another one for the list: Samurai Spirit, the new cooperative, samurai-themed card game from the fellow who made Ghost Stories. As best I can tell it is available in stores next month, and looks great.

Worth noting, though perhaps a bit too late for anyone's Christmas wishlist: Samurai Spirit is supposedly, finally available in the US now, and sure enough, Amazon has it in stock. Cool Stuff isn't quite there yet, but still.