Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Suicide Squad (2016)

Links to our threads on other DC Cinematic Universe films Man of Steel (2013), Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Wonder Woman (2017), Justice League (2017), Aquaman (2018) and Wonder Woman 2 (2019), as well as the in-development Flashpoint, Shazam!, Black Adam, Cyborg, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens and Justice League Dark movies and the not-yet-dated Superman, Batman and Justice League sequels.

- - -

Warner Bros. Circling David Ayer for DC Comics’ ‘Suicide Squad’ (Exclusive)
With several unnamed DC Comic films already slated for release through 2020, it looks like one of those pics has been unveiled.
Sources tell Variety that “Fury” director David Ayer is the choice to direct “Suicide Squad,” based on the DC comic book series.
It is unknown where things stand in the dealmaking process as Warners would not comment, but sources say the studio feels Ayer is a good fit for the dark and edgy film.
Dan Lin is producing the pic from a script by Justin Marks.
The original comic series focused on a team of supervillains who were given a second chance by the government for redemption. The catch is that the mission they are sent on will likely end up killing all of them. . . .
Variety, September 19

David Ayer Eyeing Warner Bros.' 'Suicide Squad' (Exclusive)
David Ayer, the gritty filmmaker whose World War II tank drama Fury hits theaters next month, is circling Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment project Suicide Squad.
The project had been in development with Justin Marks attached to write for a couple of years, but sources say it was put on the back burner when focus turned to Warner Bros.' other DC Entertainment property Justice League.
The Suicide Squad team, also known as Task Force X, was created by Robert Kanigher and Ross Andru, and first appeared in Brave and the Bold No. 25. It centers on the characters Deadshot, King Shark, Captain Boomerang and Harley Quinn.
The DC property about convicted supervillains who have a chance to redeem themselves through dangerous missions has been in the works for some time at Warner Bros. Marks wrote a script in 2011. Sources say Warner Bros. started looking for a director earlier in 2014. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, September 19

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

So this is what's become of Will Smith's career... he's considering co-starring in an ensemble flick based on one of DC Comics' lesser-known properties. Other names in the mix include Tom Hardy and Margot Robbie.

It's interesting that Warner/DC would follow their Batman V Superman team-up (which also features Wonder Woman, and possibly others) with yet another "team" movie, before getting to the various solo movies.

Most of the leads have been announced.

Jared Leto – The Joker

Will Smith – Deadshot

Tom Hardy – Rick Flagg

Margot Robbie – Harley Quinn

Jai Courtney – Boomerang

Cara Delevingne – Enchantress

there's still a chance Jesse Eisenberg will play Lex Luthor, but he hasn't been confirmed for this movie. And:

Warners still has the role of Amanda Waller, the character who oversees the team (similarly to Nick Fury in the Marvel universe), to cast before the film goes into production. The studio’s shortlist of actresses being eyed for the role includes Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Oprah Winfrey, whom sources say would be WB’s first choice for the part.

Edited by Tyler

Methinks Heath Ledger's performance will become even more beloved in retrospect.

Somebody made a joke about this Joker picture on Twitter about not liking Madonna's new look... 

... and now I can't stop thinking about how much I'd prefer to see Madonna play The Joker.

Between the number of Harley Quinn (in SUICIDE SQUAD-style) costumes I saw last Halloween and her turn in this trailer, this film is probably going to make Margot Robbie a star.

9 minutes ago, Anders said:

Between the number of Harley Quinn (in SUICIDE SQUAD-style) costumes I saw last Halloween and her turn in this trailer, this film is probably going to make Margot Robbie a star.

She's the MVP in that trailer. Perfect casting.

Tracking indicates that this film could open in the $125-140 million range.

Those are basically Deadpool numbers. And if the film holds on to its audience the way Deadpool did, it could also end up being bigger than Batman v Superman (in North America, that is; Batman v Superman did beat Deadpool overseas).

The current best weekend in August belongs to Guardians of the Galaxy, which opened to $94.3 million in 2014. That film went on to gross $333.2 million in total in North America. No other film has ever cracked $70 million in a single weekend in August.

There are parts I liked, enough that I overall felt it was just barely worth watching, but it's got a lot of the problems which afflict most superhero films in my mind.

What I wrote at Letterboxd

Biggest problem: Given the original premise, it falls back on generic superhero film tropes and is nowhere near bonkers enough. Basically, Suicide Squad is a remake of The Avengers in which the team of superpowers is compromised by their past unethical actions, which we never really see raising the question: why aren't these bad guys, bad? A flashback tells us Will Smith's Deadshot is a ruthless assassin, but he spends most of the film worrying about his daughter (and reminding us he's a bad guy). Diablo spends all his time worrying his powers will kill people, because of what the film suggests was technically a tragic accident. Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc merely fill in gaps between set pieces; it would make no difference to the plot if they were taken out. And then there's Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

Robbie's gleeful abandon and scenery chewing is so campy and over-the-top that I couldn't help enjoy her performance (and, by extension most of the film as well.) However, Michelle Pfeiffer basically played the same type of villain, and played it better, as Catwoman in Batman Returns - a movie in which all aspects serve its campy whole, unlike here. You could also believe Pfeiffer's Catwoman was evil and conflicted, unlike Robbie's Harley Quinn who comes across more as a juvenile delinquent.

As to actual villains, the film gives us three: Viola Davis' unethical and eminently hateable Amanda Waller, Cara Delevingne's Enchantress whom the team must assemble to defeat (and whose plan and final standoff looks like a knock-off of Gozer the Gozarian), and Jared Leto's Joker who randomly pops in when the script needs him to throw a wrench into the proceedings. Leto has so little screentime, it's hard to know what to make of his funny voice and creepily sensual antics, other than it seems he's going out of his way to make sure no one thinks of Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson.

Amanda Waller is one of the film's *villains*!? ... Oh, I see that the Wikipedia entry on her says she usually *is* a villain. Huh. (And apparently she first appeared in Legends #1, which I believe I have!) (And I had completely forgotten until now that Angela Bassett played Waller in the Green Lantern film.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

On August 2, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Evan C said:

see raising the question: why aren't these bad guys, bad? A flashback tells us Will Smith's Deadshot is a ruthless assassin, but he spends most of the film worrying about his daughter (and reminding us he's a bad guy). Diablo spends all his time worrying his powers will kill people, because of what the film suggests was technically a tragic accident.

Possible mild Spoilers.

I think one of the points is that they aren't really as bad as they are thought to be.  One of the criticisms against the film is that Deadshot needs to keep reminding us that they are bad, but I think that the 3 or so times he says that is with sarcasm.  The "bad guys" were probably more "good" than Amanda Waller.

FWIW.  I had a higher view of this film than those bad reviews.  It did have a few confusing points (what exactly shot down that helicopter, and if it was the army, then why), but I think it's biggest problem was that the scenes in the demolished city extended too long, with some of the same old, same old.  It need something to freshen it up a little there.

Given the original premise, it falls back on generic superhero film tropes and is nowhere near bonkers enough.

Yeah.  It should have been more bonkers.

Leto has so little screentime, it's hard to know what to make of his funny voice and creepily sensual antics, other than it seems he's going out of his way to make sure no one thinks of Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson.

I liked him.  He was both sufficiently creepy and utterly nuts.  The film didn't give us enough reason to believe that the pre-insanity version of Harley would have fallen for him though.   He was too crazy and repulsive at every moment for any such plot point to be believable.

Robbie's gleeful abandon and scenery chewing is so campy and over-the-top that I couldn't help enjoy her performance

Oh, she was great.  That's one of the reasons I went to see the film despite the bad reviews.  He performance, even in the trailers, was one of the main selling points for me.

Edited by Attica

I am not at all surprised to hear that it's somewhat better than the reviews make it out to be.

The reception for Suicide Squad has been so hyperbolic, so intensely over-the-top in its negativity, that I suspect it has much less to do with the film itself and more of a general contempt for the state of Hollywood blockbusters in general. This has been an especially dire year, and filmgoers have endured one turgid, half-baked disaster after another. Couple that with the sense that the superhero genre has now stagnated, embalmed in formula (the experimentation one finds in the superhero films of 2002-2009 now seems like a distant memory), and you have a recipe for some intense negativity.

I can't blame 'em. I more or less checked out on Hollywood blockbusters around the time of Age of Ultron's release, when I realized I just wasn't getting much pleasure out of these things. If I'd had to endure what's come in its wake, I'd probably be slinging venomous hyperbole at Suicide Squad, too.