Sign in to follow this  
Account Removed

Box Office Mojo Site Disappears Into IMDb

Box Office Mojo Site Disappears Into IMDb  source: variety.com

Not much of an article, it's shown below, but there are active commenters below the article at the article link location.

BoxOfficeMojo.com has vanished with the site redirecting to Amazon.com’s IMDb. The Box Office Mojo site was acquired by Amazon in late 2008. Reps for  Amazon were not immediately available for comment.

The free Box Office Mojo site was widely used by the movie industry for up-to-date box office results along with historical data and release dates of upcoming titles. It was founded in 1999 by Brandon Gray. When Box Office Mojo was acquired in 2008, it was operated in a Los Angeles office by Gray and Sean Saulsbury.

IMDb provides cursory coverage of box office data, leaving out such information as the specific distributor, the number of theaters and international grosses. Its subscription-based IMDb Pro subscription site has slightly more information.

from New York Times:

As of late afternoon on Friday, movie data hounds were becoming more and more curious about the sudden absence of Box Office Mojo, whose address, boxofficemojo.com, had been redirected to that of its parent, the Internet Movie Database, or IMDb.com.

Lucas Shaw, an entertainment reporter for Bloomberg, summed up the reaction among his journalistic colleagues. On Twitter, Mr. Shaw said: “Box Office Mojo is down, inducing cardiac arrest in every film reporter in Hollywood.”

Edited by Mike_tn

And now, it's back!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.