Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2015: Best Documentary Short

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Eight of the 58 eligible films are on the shortlist:

“Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1,” Perry Films

“Joanna,” Wajda Studio

“Kehinde Wiley: An Economy of Grace,” Show of Force

“The Lion’s Mouth Opens,” Tree Tree Tree

“One Child,” New York University

“Our Curse,” Warsaw Film School

“The Reaper (La Parka),” Centro de Capacitación Cinematográfica

“White Earth,” Weary Traveler

Between three and five of these films will be nominated.

Some trailers:

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

One more trailer:

And it looks like The Lion's Mouth Opens is online in its entirety; either that, or it has an 18-minute trailer:

Vote!

And note: we have trailers for all of the nominees above.

Watched all the nominees yesterday and today. All have dismal subject matter. Yet in spite of that, most manage to leave you feeling good about life. But it can be hard to watch some of these.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Seems like the documentary-short nominees don't get anywhere near the exposure that the other short-film categories get. Here in Vancouver, we routinely get the live-action shorts program and the animated shorts program, but I can't recall ever seeing the documentary shorts program here. And now, Vimeo has made the live-action and animated packages available for rent or purchase (minus the Disney cartoon, for obvious reasons), but they've only get three of the documentary nominees, and they are only available individually, not as a package.

The Reaper / La Parka and White Earth will be Vimeo exclusives until March 25, and Vimeo has Joanna as well. (Those three films combined come to 1 hour and 28 minutes. I wonder how long the other two nominees are? ... Hmmm, the IMDb says one is 40 minutes and the other is 28. So a program containing all five documentaries would last 2 hours and 36 minutes -- easily the longest of the short-film programs by far. Maybe *that's* partly why it doesn't get more exposure?)