Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Avengers: Infinity War Part I

Links to our threads on Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011), Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), The Avengers (2012), Iron Man 3 (2013), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Ant-Man (2015), Captain America: Civil War (2016), Doctor Strange (2016), Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017), Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Black Panther (2017), Captain Marvel (2018), Inhumans (2018) and Avengers: Infinity War Part II (2019).

Coming May 4, 2018.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Saw it. It's relentlessly ok. It isn't great, or even good--but it isn't the Death of Cinema, either. It's just--there. Some funny bits. Some genuinely astounding settings (the star forge). Lots of uninteresting action. An ending that should be affecting but isn't (apart from Tom Holland's performance). A villain who isn't interesting, in spite of all the advance hype. A conclusion that suggests the next movie will feature Matt Smith popping out of a TARDIS and doing some timey-wimey stuff. 

I did have fun, but the overall impression was of exhaustion.

Relentlessly okay is a pretty good descriptor.  As franchise movies go, I'm more invested in the Star Wars series (though its long had diminishing returns, even as I remain favorably inclined to the new sequels, despite their faults), so I don't get tremendously excited when various Marvelista's appear or disappear.  I found Thanos to be pretty engaging as a bad guy, even if his minions and their motivations never really gel.  There was a bit too much Guardians of the Galaxy screen time, though I suppose the story demanded it to be so given the third act and its machinations. 

And I'm not sure that this ending could be affecting, as it is so obvious a set up for the next film, and with such clear Chekovian guns still hanging over their various mantles. For starters, of course, is that phone call that was never made between Cap and Iron Man, then Banner's impotence, as well as the fact that for an Avengers movie there was no Avengers reinstatement.  So many MCU threads that need resolution, and resolution that won't take place until the fourth film.  Just cinematically, this is half a story.

Relentlessly okay, thirded.

A lot of really inert dialogue. The critical problem for me is that Thanos is not a compelling character, and the relationships intended to imbue his prodigious chin with pathos are not well scripted. A similar thing happens with the Iron Man/Spiderman relationship, which doesn't quite connect the emotional dots. There just aren't any stakes present.

A telling flaw is the first  Guardians of the Galaxy sequence, which lacks the crackle and pop of their film installments. This makes me think that had Gunn directed this entire film, it would have been more coherent and incisive. He is a much better director.

Buckeye Jones wrote:
: There was a bit too much Guardians of the Galaxy screen time, though I suppose the story demanded it to be so given the third act and its machinations.  

Ironically, one of the things I hated about Infinity War was how it effed up the Guardians, which had heretofore been one of my favorite Marvel movie properties. Among other things, they simply didn't have James Gunn's touch here -- and I can only wonder how Gunn will pick up the pieces once this Avengers storyline is over.

That being said, I did love the way Thor kept calling Rocket Raccoon "Rabbit".

4 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Buckeye Jones wrote:
: There was a bit too much Guardians of the Galaxy screen time, though I suppose the story demanded it to be so given the third act and its machinations.  

Ironically, one of the things I hated about Infinity War was how it effed up the Guardians, which had heretofore been one of my favorite Marvel movie properties. Among other things, they simply didn't have James Gunn's touch here -- and I can only wonder how Gunn will pick up the pieces once this Avengers storyline is over.

That being said, I did love the way Thor kept calling Rocket Raccoon "Rabbit".

I actually preferred the Guardians here to in Vol. 2, which I wasn't a fan of.