Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2015: Best Animated Short

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The shortlist:

-- “The Bigger Picture,” Daisy Jacobs, director, and Christopher Hees, producer (National Film and Television School)

-- “Coda,” Alan Holly, director (And Maps And Plans)

-- “The Dam Keeper,” Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi, directors (Tonko House)

-- “Duet,” Glen Keane, director (Glen Keane Productions & ATAP)

-- “Feast,” Patrick Osborne, director, and Kristina Reed, producer (Walt Disney Animation Studios)

-- “Footprints,” Bill Plympton, director (Bill Plympton Studio)

-- “Me and My Moulton,” Torill Kove, director (Mikrofilm in co-production with the National Film Board of Canada)

-- “The Numberlys,” William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg, directors (Moonbot Studios)

-- “A Single Life,” Joris Oprins, director (Job, Joris & Marieke)

-- “Symphony No. 42,” Réka Bucsi, director (Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design Budapest)

Between three and five of these films will be nominated on January 15.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Cartoon Brew:

The once-dominant Pixar was snubbed for the second year in a row; last year the Academy ignored The Blue Umbrella, this year Lava, which we can confirm was indeed qualified. The last Pixar short to be nominated was La Luna in 2011. (Disclosure: I wrote The Art of Pixar Short Films.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Annie Awards announced their nominees today (the only one I've seen is Feast):

Coda
- 62 George Street

Duet
- Glen Keane Productions

Feast
- Walt Disney Animation Studios

Inside Homer - The Simpsons Couch Gag (Episode #549)  - Acme Filmworks 

Me and My Moulton
- National Film Board of Canada

Silent -
Creative Artists Agency

The Dam Keeper 
- Tonko House LLC

The Raven - Moonbot Studios

Trailers (if not entire cartoons) later, if I can find any. In the meantime, here's a bit from Feast:

'Me and My Moulton' -- shortlisted for the Oscar and nominated for the Annie -- is available online for less than 48 hours.

As Plympton sees it, landing dual Oscar nominations, much less wins, would go a long way towards legitimizing his quest to bring adult animation back into what he considers a too-conservative marketplace.

“Hollywood executives don’t really care about hand-drawn animation, and don’t really care about animation that’s not for kiddies, so there is very little opportunity for me to make the films that I want to make,” Plympton said.

Vote!

And note: Three films were nominated for both the Annie and the Oscar (said films being The Dam Keeper, Feast and Me and My Moulton).

We already have a featurette on Feast above, plus a now-expired link to Me and My Moulton. Here are trailers for The Dam Keeper and The Bigger Picture:

As usual, the A&F DC crew will be meeting up opening night (this Friday) to catch the shorts at Landmark E St. And this year, I'll be seeing both the live-action and animated shorts, rather than one or the other. 

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

My overview: http://bit.ly/1A7IlL0

A couple of us chose the same two titles as favorites: A Single Life and The Dam Keeper, although we also very much liked Me and My Moulton.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Turns out Me and My Moulton has a sequel of sorts:

Feast just won the Annie Award in this category. I have no idea what sort of correspondence there has been between the Annies and the Oscars in this category.

Caught the "short films" program yesterday. I think A Single Life was my favorite of the bunch, just because it was so short and to-the-point. And it seems I never posted a trailer for that one here, so, here it is:

Four of the nominees (all but the Disney one), plus four bonus animated shorts, are now available on Vimeo ($3.95 to rent, $7.99 to buy, which is apparently about half what iTunes charges).