Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Horse Money

I could see that, Darren. I have watched this a few times now, and I am more deeply affected each time (especially the musical bridge in the middle, not sure what else to call it). At this point, I can't help but think of Horse Money as part of a life cycle, as a kind of weight or grief dragging the rest of his films into a failure of memory.

Dang. I just rented this on Vudu, only to discover that it started streaming on Netflix on Christmas Eve.

If possible, watch it in the dark (it's a very dark movie) and put away your phone, laptop, etc. For the film to work, I think it needs to put you into a kind of dream state, and any distractions would break the spell.

It is totally opaque. I have not found any specific insight about the image in any publication. Here is my thinking:

1. In western Europe the US, Opinel is kind of a workingman's brand. Their knives are basic, cheap, and made of good steel. This is the kind of knife Ventura and his working class would have just had in their pocket. 
  2. It is also a real classic sort of brand, with a sentimentality attached to it. Like Sears or John Deere or Coke.
  3. Sellers usually display Opinel knives like that, in long rows according to size. If you are into the way things look, it is a nifty sight.
  4. It is the formal punctuation for the film. It brings it to a halt. 
  5. Thematically, it is an echo of the knife scene and the ongoing sense of decision present for Venture between closure and violence.

Taking all this together, I think we have here a common, familiar image that takes on a sinister nuance in its use as an emblem of Ventura's psychological conflict. And doesn't he put his foot on the image as it is shown via reflection? 

Edited by M. Leary