Favorite Albums of 2014: Other Folks' Lists

Josh Hurst

And The War on Drugs at #2. Interesting.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

That's a very good list. Happy to see Hiss Golden Messenger rating highly. Lateness of Dancers is really good.

But I'm really surprised to see American Songwriter overlooking Joe Henry's Invisible Hour, not to mention Lucinda Williams and Amy Lavere.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

The Americana Music Association presents its Top 100, topped by Rosanne Cash.

That link isn't working from the board or from the AMA's home page. Am I the only one? Im using IE. Maybe I'll try Chrome.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Wow. I only heard that song for the first time on Monday, and I've listened to it six time in the last 48 hours. I can't stop playing it... or the whole album, for that matter.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

NPR Music's 50 Favorite Albums, in alphabetical order.

Lots of great stuff on this list, including three titles that overlap with my own Top 10, which I hope to post later this week. But ugh: After Jeffrey's note about Invisible Hour and its prominent placement in the podcast, it's a bummer to see it MIA here.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Landmarks!

Surprising omissions: tUnE-yArds, Strand of Oaks (Have you heard this? It's very impressive.), Leonard Cohen, My Brightest Diamond, and Dylan's The Basement Tapes

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Rolling Stone Country has Miranda at #1, Sturgill at #2.

HAMAKER AND HURST CHOICES DUKE IT OUT AT ROLLING STONE COUNTRY.

(I'm just happy to have heard, and liked, both recordings.)

Edited by Christian

Rolling Stone Country has Miranda at #1, Sturgill at #2.

HAMAKER AND HURST CHOICES DUKE IT OUT AT ROLLING STONE COUNTRY.

(I'm just happy to have heard, and liked, both recordings.)

And isn't it neat how their #1 and #2 picks, taken together, really encompass the spectrum of how great country music can be in 2014? They strike me as really complimentary selections, even beyond the fact that they're both great in their own right.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Yes, I agree, although let me add a potentially discordant note to our discussion.

I've just looked over the list and am, well, very impressed that it features numerous mainstream country stars that apparently have released full albums that exceed the radio singles I've heard off those albums. Dierks Bentley, for instance, has a (to me) pretty terrible song called "Drunk on a Plane" that's been getting lots of airplay, but his album, according to RSC, includes "melodies which play like a country twist on vintage U2 (or maybe a Hüsker Dü record played at half-speed)." I don't count myself as huge fans of either group, but heck, who wouldn't want to hear Bentley's album after that comparison?

I'll also note the relatively low placement of Lucinda Williams' latest. I know it's a favorite in these parts, and don't get me wrong: It's a good album (or double album). It's just not as good as I hoped it would be, as I thought it would be. Maybe I had too high a bar, but after all the praise that preceded my first listen, I was a little let down by it. (I've listened to it a few times since, but it hasn't really developed through repeated exposure.)

Anyway, that's an admirable list, and it makes me want to give certain artists and albums I'd dismissed as too mainstream/ bro country / whatever another chance.