Favorite Albums of 2014: Other Folks' Lists

Josh Hurst

Excellent. The Lights From the Chemical Plant is my favorite country album I heard this year, and I've heard Sturgill. Sturgill strikes me as winningly clever, but somewhat off-puttingly distant and self-protecting — I can't imagine his songs are going to actually mean much to me; none of his lyrics, or his music for that matter, move me like the first few tracks on Ellis's record. The title track is a knockout.

I just brought the Shakey Graves album home from the library. Looking forward to digging in.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

A typically great list from S.T. Erlewine-- including Miranda at #1 (natch) but also Robert Plant, tune-yards, St. Vincent, Sturgill, Lee Ann Womack, Lana Del Ray, etc.

My fellow STE devotees might be interested in seeing the man's full Top 100.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

I'm not a Pitchfork fan, but their top albums list has an excellent summary of St. Vincent's abum that highlights its humor, and that's been missing from a lot of reviews. They even include "I prefer your love to Jesus" as one of the jokes, which I find intriguing. 

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I always enjoy Fred Kaplan's Best Jazz list, although this year's is filled with lots of familiar names. Fewer discoveries here. 

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 1 month later...

Excellent. The Lights From the Chemical Plant is my favorite country album I heard this year.

We don't have a dedicated thread for this CD, so I'm posting here. While this in no way tops Sturgill Simpson's album for me, I appreciated Jeffrey's reminder about this album back in December. I listened to it a couple more times on Spotify and thought, "This one might take yet."

The past couple of days I've been listening to Americana and Folk channels on Spotify, and this album is featured across the different channels. The title track keeps playing, as does at least one other track from the same album, and I'd say, yeah, this one done took.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 1 month later...

Robert Christgau. Did this really just show up? I can't tell if B&N is reprinting it, or if it's original. 

• 5 years later...