Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Frozen 2

Link to our thread on Frozen (2013).

Did Idina Menzel let the cat out of the bag?

While Disney's TV and straight-to-video divisions have produced a number of sequels over the years, to say nothing of the sequels Pixar has been churning out lately, so far Disney's feature animation division has produced only three sequels in its roughly 80-year history: The Rescuers Down Under (1990), Fantasia 2000 (1999) and Winnie the Pooh (2011). So at their once-a-decade pace, we're not really due for another Big Disney sequel for another six years at least.

But these days, when a movie makes ALL THE MONEY like Frozen did, there has to be a sequel.

The title better be Fro2en.

Well, whether there's a full-fledged sequel or not, Disney *did* announce the other day that a short called Frozen Fever will play before the live-action version of Cinderella next year.

Funny, just the other day I read an interview with the directors, who said they couldn't think of any new ideas after Frozen Fever (the short film that plays before Cinderella this week). And now I get *this* press release:

Winter weather ahead! Frozen 2 is officially in development at Walt Disney Animation Studios with directors Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee and producer Peter Del Vecho, the Oscar®-winning filmmaking team behind Frozen.

The news was announced at Disney’s Annual Meeting of Shareholders this morning by Bob Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company; John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios; and actor Josh Gad, who provides the voice of Olaf from Frozen.

“We enjoyed making Frozen Fever so much and being back in that world with those characters,” said John Lasseter. “Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck have come up with a great idea for a sequel and you will be hearing a lot more about it and we’re taking you back to Arendelle. We are so excited about that.”

A release date and production details are yet to be announced.

This would be Big Disney's... fourth feature-length sequel, I think. The others being The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000 and Winnie the Pooh. (Disney has produced a number of other sequels under its other divisions, but those aren't produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios per se.)

The others ones all underperformed at the box office. Maybe Frozen 2 will be different? More like a Pixar or DreamWorks sequel?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Funny, just the other day I read an interview with the directors, who said they couldn't think of any new ideas after Frozen Fever (the short film that plays before Cinderella this week). 

In the very broadest possible sense of "any new ideas," I assume. (I've seen "Frozen Fever.")