Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

2014 Ecumenical Jury Award(s)

Recently in the thread about restarting the FFCC, I floated the idea of doing a vote to replace CT's "Most Redemptive" list which has now been retired. 

As enough people expressed interest, I shall try to do this. Later today or tomorrow, I'll put out an announcement at my blog to mirror announcement here. 

I would like to have a minimum of six people on the jury and a maximum of fifteen, so there is still room if someone would like to join. Thus far in the other thread, those who have affirmed they would like to participate are:

Wade Bearden

Evan Cogswell
Steven D. Greydanus

Christian Hamaker

Josh Hamm

Gareth Higgins

Mike Leary

Joel Mayward

Brett McCracken

Kenneth R. Morefield

Mark Moring

Alissa Wilkinson

(Mike and Joel, I would appreciate it if you would PM me with an e-mail to send the ballots to). 

I will, of course, invite Alissa, Brett, Jack (Cuidon), and Mark (Moring), my colleagues at CT, but I have no idea if any of them will be interested. Same for Gareth Higgins

Once I post at my blog, nominations will be open, and *anyone* can nominate a film (don't have to be on the jury to make a nomination). However the jury will only vote on nominations that are seconded by at least one jury member. For convenience sake, people can nominate films here or at the blog. Nominations will close at midnight on December 14. On December 15 I'll send jury members a link for a survey with nominated films that they can rank 1-5 (strongly disagree-strongly agree). I'll announce the winners on December 22. 

Here's the statement I'm working on; I'm open to suggestions if people want to suggest changes:

The Ecumenical Jury is made up of film critics and cinephiles who wish to recognize and celebrate films that use the medium to explore themes of religion, faith, or spirituality. We particularly seek to enlarge or expand the perception of what is meant by either labeling a film a "Christian" film or suggesting that a it should be of interest to Christian audiences. The jury seeks to recognize quality films (regardless of genre) that have challenged, moved, enlightened, or entertained us and to draw the attention of Christian audiences to films it thinks have the potential to do the same for them. 

As to release dates...I don't really care. I figure that if a film wasn't in wide release it will have trouble garnering the votes, but I am not interested in excluding something from being nominated, especially since I don't necessarily see a single "winner" but, hopefully, a list of 5-10 highest rated films that are affirmed by the jury as a whole. 

I welcome discussion here, at the blog, via e-mail wherever. Doesn't have to be a secret. Certainly welcome discussion from people who may not want to serve on the jury but are willing to make input about a nomination. And by all means, if you would like to be on the jury, send me a PM or e-mail.

Edited by kenmorefield

Edit: I'll keep a running tally of films that have been noinated, either here or elsewhere.

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared

1,000 Times Good Night

The Babadook

Bears

Begin Again

Beginning with the End

Believe Me

Big Hero 6

Blue Ruin

Calvary

Camille Claudel 1915

Chef

Clouds of Sils Maria

The Congress

Deliver Us From Evil

Field of Dogs

The Fool

Force Majeure

Fury

Gimme Shelter

Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me

The Good Lie

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Holbrook/Twain: An American Odyssey

The Homesman

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part I

Ida

The Immigrant

The Internet's Own Boy

Interstellar

Journey to the West (Tsai's version, not Chow's)

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness

Last of the Unjust

The Lego Movie

Leviathan

Life Itself

Listen Up Phillip

Locke

The Lunchbox

Mister Turner

A Most Violent Year

Noah

Norte: The End of History

One Chance

Only Lovers Left Alive

Overnighters

Particle Fever

Private Violence

The Railway Man

St. Vincent

La Sapienza

Selma

Siddharth

Snowpiercer

Stations of the Cross

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

The Sublime and Beautiful

Two Days, One Night

Unbroken

Under the Skin

Violent

When the Game Stands Tall

The Wind Rises

Winter Sleep

Edited by kenmorefield

My nominations for now:

Begin Again

Only Lovers Left Alive

If someone could help me get screeners for the following, I'd be eternally grateful:

Two Days, One Night

Clouds of Sils Maria

And I doubt many people will get to see this as it doesn't open until Christmas, and for all I know, it might not be very good, but I do want to plug Into the Woods as something that we should try to screen in advance. The stage production is a conglomeration of fairy tales, and it explores the moral and ethical choices underpinning those stories, as well as what happens after "happily ever after."  Based on the little I've seen in the trailers, it looks like the film will be a decent enough adaptation to merit consideration if enough of us see it in time.

Ken: You say you're doing this to revive CT's "Most Redemptive" list, but I don't get a clear sense of how your list will be different from CT's "best of the year" list the way the "Most Redemptive" list was.

And I doubt many people will get to see this as it doesn't open until Christmas, and for all I know, it might not be very good, but I do want to plug Into the Woods as something that we should try to screen in advance. The stage production is a conglomeration of fairy tales, and it explores the moral and ethical choices underpinning those stories, as well as what happens after "happily ever after."  Based on the little I've seen in the trailers, it looks like the film will be a decent enough adaptation to merit consideration if enough of us see it in time.

I've got a screening on the 10th if you want to come to NC....

Additional nominations from Joel:

-The Immigrant
-Ida
-Winter Sleep
-The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
-Fury
-Leviathan

I'm not involved with this group but would be interested to know how its members saw Winter Sleep. It releases in my market on, I believe, Dec. 19, and I've received nary a word about screenings or screeners.

UPDATE: I'm now part of the group. I'll try to find a way to see Winter Sleep.

Edited by Christian

I'm not involved with this group but would be interested to know how its members saw Winter Sleep. It releases in my market on, I believe, Dec. 19, and I've received nary a word about screenings or screeners.

I believe Joel (who nominated it) is from Canada, and I'm fairly certain Winter Sleep played in several festivals there.

Joel, I think that was your nom? 

Christian, did you want to be? I thought I caught everyone who responded to the idea in the FFCC thread, so I apologize if you expressed interest and I missed it.

I barely remember reading about this before it was officially announced, although I probably did and got it confused with Rebecca's call for a similar group. I'm so confused.

(Aside: I am interested in this process, and would like to participate, if and when I catch my breath. Thank you.)

Joel, I think that was your nom? 

Christian, did you want to be? I thought I caught everyone who responded to the idea in the FFCC thread, so I apologize if you expressed interest and I missed it.

I saw Winter Sleep at VIFF this past September, as well as Leviathan. I believe both films also screened at TIFF, and I think a few A&F people were there. I'd highly recommend both, though Winter Sleep will be in my end-of-year top 10, and Leviathan won't.

Oh, good call on Last of the Unjust. I forget about that because I saw it at TIFF 2013. But yeah, we're happy to have nominations/reminders from non-jury members. (With the caveat that a film has to be seconded by a jury member to appear on the ballot--but I'll second both of those.)

I have some catching up to do once my semester ends a week from today. My only disappointment is that I'll probably have to miss so many films with the given cut-off date. Such is life outside of major markets!

A few more noms:

Gimme Shelter

One Chance

The Lunchbox

Particle Fever

Believe Me

Bears

Big Hero 6

When the Game Stands Tall

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

The Homesman

More nominations:

Blue Ruin

Deliver Us From Evil

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness

St. Vincent

I'm still debating the wisdom of nominating Gone Girl.

I may be missing something, but are all the nominations listed by Ken considered "votable?" As in, they've been seconded and will be considered on December 15? I'm just wondering if we should be adding our "seconds" to this thread.

I may be missing something, but are all the nominations listed by Ken considered "votable?" As in, they've been seconded and will be considered on December 15? I'm just wondering if we should be adding our "seconds" to this thread.

Joel, the list is what will be on the ballot. My intention was that if a film was nominated by a jury member, I would put it on the ballot; if a film is nominated by a friend or colleague who is not participating on the jury, it would need to be seconded by an actual jury member. (So that, say, a publicity rep couldn't just come into this thread or my blog and nominate all his/her company's movies.) I haven't updated the ones from this morning, but thus far the only film I see that was suggested but has not yet been seconded was Miss Julie. (I loved Colin Farrell's performance but have been meaning to bop over and read Darrel's review while I consider it.)

I'm still mulling--and am open to suggestions--how to rank the results (or if they are not ranked, how to present the winners)? If it is straight points, than obviously those films seen by the most jurors have an inherent advantage; but if it is by average, those films with only one or two jurors voting have an advantage. I was thinking about highest average among films voted on by at least 1/2 the jurors. (There will be an option for "I haven't seen it" or to abstain.) 

I might add an optional second question allowing the each juror to select one film that he or she would like to award an "honorable mention" if there is a film he/she is passionate about that he/she suspects will not make the cut. What do you think?

but thus far the only film I see that was suggested but has not yet been seconded was Miss Julie. (I loved Colin Farrell's performance but have been meaning to bop over and read Darrel's review while I consider it.)

FYI, review is still being written. I'll have it ready to go up for the film's opening Friday.

I went ahead and pulled the nom for Love & Mercy since it seems like it's going to get a wide release next year and very few will have seen it. 

I haven't seen IDA, THE HOMESMAN, or FORCE MAJEURE yet...is the latter something that might fit in this category? (I've got a screener but haven't watched it yet.)