2014 Ecumenical Jury Award(s)

I went ahead and pulled the nom for Love & Mercy since it seems like it's going to get a wide release next year and very few will have seen it. 

I haven't seen IDA, THE HOMESMAN, or FORCE MAJEURE yet...is the latter something that might fit in this category? (I've got a screener but haven't watched it yet.)

Yes to Ida and Force Majeure, certainly. The Homesman is still on my to-see list…

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point is Force Majeure just available via screeners?

As far as I know; GoWatchIt shows it in 221 queues but not yet available from any streaming sources. Know it played at TIFF and pretty sure it played some other festivals.According to D'Angelo's site it played in NY in October, so it's been in theaters. 

I went ahead and pulled the nom for Love & Mercy since it seems like it's going to get a wide release next year and very few will have seen it. 

I haven't seen IDA, THE HOMESMAN, or FORCE MAJEURE yet...is the latter something that might fit in this category? (I've got a screener but haven't watched it yet.)

Yes to Ida and Force Majeure, certainly. The Homesman is still on my to-see list…

Just watched Ida - absolutely fantastic film that should definitely make the list.  The Homesman opens in my area tomorrow, so I'll definitely get to it sometime next week.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Just watched Ida - absolutely fantastic film that should definitely make the list.  The Homesman opens in my area tomorrow, so I'll definitely get to it sometime next week.

All are tremendous. I've lived with The Homesman only for a week, but it's sticking in a good way. Still, I'm more confident at this point about the other two, especially Ida.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

At this point is Force Majeure just available via screeners?

As far as I know; GoWatchIt shows it in 221 queues but not yet available from any streaming sources. Know it played at TIFF and pretty sure it played some other festivals.According to D'Angelo's site it played in NY in October, so it's been in theaters. 

And it is Magnolia, from which I have bad luck getting screeners.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Yeah, it's starting its third or fourth week at my local arts theater -- a pretty impressive run at that place, where foreign-language fare usually takes a back seat to English-language prestige projects. And it's not even in the theater's smallest auditorium!

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Looks like Frontera just got added to Netflix streaming in US...it's a bit more on social justice side, but I liked TLJ's character quite a bit, and I was moved by the interpersonal relationships. I haven't nominated it...yet...but I've been thinking about it.

I'm still mulling--and am open to suggestions--how to rank the results (or if they are not ranked, how to present the winners)? If it is straight points, than obviously those films seen by the most jurors have an inherent advantage; but if it is by average, those films with only one or two jurors voting have an advantage. I was thinking about highest average among films voted on by at least 1/2 the jurors. (There will be an option for "I haven't seen it" or to abstain.) 

I might add an optional second question allowing the each juror to select one film that he or she would like to award an "honorable mention" if there is a film he/she is passionate about that he/she suspects will not make the cut. What do you think?

I like the idea of an "honorable mention," especially if a personal favorite simply hasn't been seen by many others on the jury (I'm thinking Winter Sleep will fall into this category, based on previous comments.) As for the voting and ranking, as we've seen with Top 25 lists, I'm not sure there's a perfect way to structure the voting system when not every film has been seen by every voter. Having a highest average among films seen by a majority of voters, plus the honorable mention category, sounds like a solid way to offer the best set of viewed films from this particular jury of voters. My two cents.

I see that Mark already nominated THE HOMESMAN...I somehow missed that when this thread turned pages.

Wow we have 43 nominated films so far; I'm actually really curious to see how the voting will turn out. 

I like the idea of creating a Top 10 list of the highest aggregate average from among films seen by at least a majority (i.e. 7) of the jurors, with the option of allowing each juror 1 "honorable mention."

I *think* that will be a pretty interesting cross section of films for readers to mull.

Wow we have 43 nominated films so far; I'm actually really curious to see how the voting will turn out. 

I like the idea of creating a Top 10 list of the highest aggregate average from among films seen by at least a majority (i.e. 7) of the jurors, with the option of allowing each juror 1 "honorable mention."

I *think* that will be a pretty interesting cross section of films for readers to mull.

That sounds good to me. My only question is would we get to see what films made the final list before picking our honorable mention, or would we have to pick our honorable mention guessing what will and won't make the final list?  The former might be more thorough, but the latter could really result in some fascinating picks.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

My primary goal is to minimize amount of e-mails/surveys people have to fill out, so I think the ideal would be for the juror, on the ballot, to select one film he/she wants to receive honorable mention if it doesn't rank high enough (top 10) to receive an award. There may be one or two jurors who select films that make it anyway, in which case we would have less than 12 "honorable mentions," but I think the purpose would be to allow jurors to bring attention to something that maybe wasn't widely seen. (My personal favorite part of the old CT lists were "the one that got away" designations. That, unfortunately, was retired by the time I arrived at CT.)

If you spend some time around Evangelical press, particularly at junkets or set visits, you may find that no mantra is hear more than that the Christian audiences is "underserved" or "hungry" for product. To that end, looking at the list of nominees is revealing to me. There are nearly fifty films...and I'm pretty sure more will come by Sunday evening. Granted not everyone will agree that every film nominated is ideal for Christian audiences, but the diversity of films and genres makes me wonder about anyone's claim that there are no good movies out there for (insert particular audience).

A couple of noms from Gareth Higgins:

THE LEGO MOVIE
BIG HERO SIX (which was already nominated)
THE 100 YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT THE WINDOW AND DISAPPEARED
INTERSTELLAR
THE CONGRESS

Has anyone seen Unbroken yet? I've had a screener sitting on my shelf, but with last minute awards rushes I haven't watched it yet...and I don't think I can tonight. 

I've seen it. The Railway Man has a number of similarities to Unbroken, and I happen to prefer the former in terms of redemptive themes. I was thinking of nominating The Railway Man, but worry that ... well, who cares what I worry about? I'd like to nominate it. If no one's seen it, or no one cares to rate it higher than a 1, so be it. I'll feel better knowing I nominated it. If it helps, here's my review, which spells out what I liked about the film.

I was also hoping to nominate Camille Claudel 1915, but IMDB is telling me the film played in New York in 2013. I wasn't able to see it in D.C. until 2014. If it somehow qualifies for the 2014 Ecumenical Jury Awards, please add it to the list of nominees.

Edited by Christian