Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Breadwinner

Links to our threads on The Secret of Kells (2009) and Song of the Sea (2014).

- - -

Nora Twomey Will Direct Cartoon Saloon’s Next Film ‘The Breadwinner’

Cartoon Saloon’s next animated feature will be The Breadwinner, based on the bestelling novel by Deborah Ellis. The announcement was made by the studio’s co-founder Paul Young at last weekend’s Irish VFX & Animation Summit.

Breadwinner follows 11-year-old Parvana, who disguises herself as a boy in Taliban-era Afghanistan so that she can provide for her family. Nora Twomey, who co-directed The Secret of Kells and is a partner in Cartoon Saloon, will make her solo feature directorial debut. Author Ellis adapted the book with Anita Doron (The End of Silence).

The family film, which will be co-produced with Toronto, Canada-based Aircraft Pictures, is budgeted at $10 million, with the backing of the Irish Film Board, Telefilm Canada, and private investors from the United States and the Middle East. Non-profits including the Belinda Stronach Foundation and Regina Spirit Fund will also contribute to the budget. . . .

Cartoon Brew, December 1

Brian D   

Cartoon Saloon's The Breadwinner...coming out this week in some places.  I love Song of the Sea and really like Secret of Kells.   Maturity and creative joy that is so rare in modern animation.  A new film from this group gets me a good deal more excited than the prospect of a new Pixar or Disney animated film.  Not more excited than Studio Ghibli, but maybe next in line.  Can't wait. 

BethR   

Interesting that this film is based on a novel (2000, plot spoilers in the link), because the basic premise is quite similar to Osama (2003, link to one of two A&F discussions a few years ago).

It's emotionally devastating. Didn't quite woo me the way Persepolis did, but I liked it better than Kells or Sea. A brief endorsement here. 

This film is absolutely beautiful.  The visual imagery is gorgeous, not to mention the Persian art styles interlaced in the fairy tale story within a story.  Not only does the film offer a very strong young female character (among other strong woman characters), but she is believable, vulnerable, and feels real in ways that even the recent self-assured independent Disney princesses have not been.  The main story and the fairy tale story are both haunting, and they mesh together with a wallop with an ending that is revealing of deeper tragedy and redemptive at the same time.

My wife and I loved it.  If she's not careful, Ms. Twomey is going to start taking various awards away from Pixar.