Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2015: Best Picture

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The nominees for the SAG Award for best ensemble, which is basically their version of best picture:

BIRDMAN (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
BOYHOOD (IFC Films)
THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (FOX SEARCHLIGHT PICTURES)

THE IMITATION GAME (The Weinstein Company)

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING (Focus Features)

The winner will be announced January 25.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Producers Guild Award nominees in this category are:

Ø  American Sniper (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Ø  Birdman (Fox Searchlight Pictures)

Ø  Boyhood (IFC Films)

Ø  Foxcatcher (Sony Pictures Classics)

Ø  Gone Girl (20th Century Fox)

Ø  The Grand Budapest Hotel (Fox Searchlight Pictures)

Ø  The Imitation Game (The Weinstein Company)

Ø  Nightcrawler (Open Road Films)

Ø  The Theory of Everything (Focus Features)

Ø  Whiplash (Sony Pictures Classics)

The winner will be announced January 24.

Kris Tapley:

So far, four industry groups have announced nominations this year: the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), the American Cinema Editors (ACE), the Art Directors Guild (ADG) and the Producers Guild of America (PGA). And so far, only five films have been recognized by all four groups: "Birdman," "Gone Girl," "The Grand Budapest Hotel," "The Imitation Game" and "Nightcrawler." . . . That grouping is probably not what we were expecting.

Vote!

Birdman just won the Producers Guild Award in this category. In the 25 previous awards since the PGA came into existence, the PGA has agreed with the Oscar for Best Picture on all but seven occasions, the exceptions being 1992 (PGA; The Crying Game, Oscar: Unforgiven), 1995 (PGA: Apollo 13, Oscar: Braveheart), 1998 (PGA: Saving Private Ryan, Oscar: Shakespeare in Love), 2001 (PGA: Moulin Rouge!, Oscar: A Beautiful Mind), 2004 (PGA: The Aviator, Oscar: Million Dollar Baby), 2005 (PGA: Brokeback Mountain, Oscar: Crash) and 2006 (PGA: Little Miss Sunshine, Oscar: The Departed); plus there was a tie in 2013 between 12 Years a Slave (which won the Oscar) and Gravity (which didn't).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Birdman just won the SAG award for best ensemble cast, which is the closest thing they have to a "best picture" award.

So, Birdman has won both the PGA award and the SAG award. Will it win the Oscar...?

Yes. 

Two words: The Artist.

And Argo, as in all three are stories which present acting as the greatest career ever, a career full of significance that makes life worth living and can save the world.

(I say that as someone who ranks Birdman as his 3rd favorite of the best picture nominees.)

That said, I'm still not sure if I can see Birdman winning the DGA, which I think is more likely to go to Linklater or Wes, so I'm not making any predictions until next week.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

But John Goodman isn't in Birdman. So it clearly lacks the advantage that both The Artist and Argo had. (Also, Birdman doesn't have an "arrrr" sound in its tile.)