Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Bjork - Vulnicura

It hasn't even hit iTunes in all territories yet, but there are already a lot of people in online forums, etc. praising the gorgeous string arrangements, the more straightforward rhythms (compared to the past few records), and the general beauty of the music. A lot of these comments are probably just from fanboys and fangirls, but when people keep comparing this album to Vespertine, I definitely sit up and take notice.

That's a great piece. This article in The Atlantic is good too.

I just turned in my next "Listening Closer." It's about the opening track, and should be up at CaPC on Monday.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Yeah, I sort of wanted to buy the vinyl album partly for large artwork, but I really don't think I need that blown up further. Eyesore.

Definitely agree that the earlier artwork is better (and more in continuity with her previous record covers) but this one almost feels right to me, in that it graphically and uncomfortably depicts some of the same things the songs graphically and uncomfortably depict.

Been listening to Bjork's whole catalog a lot lately. It's striking to revisit Vespertine and especially Medulla in light of the new record. Those albums are so much about the intimacy, vulnerability, joy, and trust of monogamy, domesticity, and family, which makes me see Vulnicura as both thematically continuous and all the more crushing.